Chapter 16: Bedroom

Ivy's POV

I'm so fucking angry.

Not at Kai. He's being a human for helping me.

It's the helping me part that I don't like and the giving me two options that I would prefer not to choose from. When I'm angry, I make it obvious. I'm not sugarcoating anything. If I'm upset with you, it will be known in the pettiest form.

I don't know why Kai has been the only one who has made me this emotional, but it needs to stop.

"I'm not trying to make a decision for you. The last thing I want is to look like someone who knows what's best for you, but this isn't a small thing, Ivy. It's not something I can just let you deal with on your own," he tries to reason with me when he notices the silent treatment being given to him.

"Oh, but you making me choose between two things while knowing I wouldn't pick either isn't you thinking you know what's best for me?" I mutter underneath my breath.

He sighs, pulling into a parking lot where a tall building is in front of us in the city-a very expensive one.

Did he lie about not knowing what mineral water is because there is no way in hell he lives here and doesn't drink that regularly?

"Can we please talk about this?" he asks.

"I don't want to." Translation: I'm not opening up about anything.

"I've known you for long enough to know that you don't like to talk about things when you're angry." He makes eye contact with me when I finally look over at him, a gentleness in his voice and expression.

"Is that because you've known me or did you create a profile based on your observations?" I sarcastically retort.

"A profile that we make for criminals is different."

"How so?"

"I'm investigating them. I don't investigate just anyone."

"If you tell me some bullshit like "you're in a dark place and I can tell you're looking for the light", I'm jumping off the top story of this building," I respond seriously.

A smile breaks onto his face.

I notice one dimple on his right cheek because of how close he is to me. I never really looked at it before. Whatever.

"I'm not that cheesy."

I try to keep my glare present, but for some reason, I can't when he's smiling at me like that. Or just smiling basically. Not "like that". Why did I say it so suggestively?

"You really are." I nod, getting my bag and stepping out of the car-mostly to avoid breaking my glare.

He follows behind me to take me up to his apartment.

We take the elevator up to the top floor.

The top fucking floor. Do you know what that means? He doesn't just drink mineral water, he probably has multiple cereal boxes that are allowed to be opened at the same time.

The elevator doors open to the most spacious, all-white apartment. Expensive shit that if I were to ask someone about at a store, they'd think I was planning on robbing them.

Although, Kai just walks in casually.

"Is your agency hiring?" My mouth is dropped as I walk in.

"You okay dealing with mass murderers around the world?" Kai folds his arms against his chest after setting his keys down on the glass table.