Chapter 42: Pictures

Ivy's POV

I wake up the next morning in Kai's arms, watching him peacefully sleep while holding me.

He even looks perfect asleep. It's like he glows like a fucking vampire in hibernation. What moisturizer does he use and can I have an unlimited amount?

I stretch over him to grab my phone from the nightstand.

I usually go through texts and any emails I've gotten, but before I even get to that, I look up at the date near the time on my lock screen.

My chest tightens simultaneously.

I was so delirious last night and have been so caught up with everything happening that I completely forgot what today was.

I honestly wish I could go back to that obliviousness.

Flashback:

"Good morning!" My mom and I walk into my dad's room with the cake on a tray.

He slowly awakens, excitement breaking on his face at the tradition we do every year for his birthday.

"Are you surprised?" I jump on top of him excitedly.

He laughs, picking me up and setting me on his lap.

"Shocked, actually."

"Blow out the candles. I don't feel like setting the entire house on fire," my mom demands.

"Make a wish with me." He nudges.

I nod.

I think of the best wish I can imagine.

I could be a princess. I could wish for every doll in the store. I could get that big dollhouse that I've been begging my dad for.

I look at my mom and see how happy she is and the love in my dad's eyes when he looks at all of us.

I want this to happen every year on my dad's birthday. I want us to walk in and for him to pretend like he's surprised like he does each year.

We both blow out the candles at the same time.

"What did you wish for?" I ask.

"For your mother to stop nagging me all the time." He grins at her.

"You think I won't smash your face into this cake?" she asks, joking because she loves him too much to do something like that.

We laugh before spending the entire day together, just like we always do-just like I want us to always do.

End of flashback:

There's no cake to give anymore.

That love is gone.

It's been years and each time, it fucking hurts just as bad. There was one wish I actually wanted and even that didn't come true.

I never blew out candles again. I don't celebrate my birthday for that reason.

I get up from the bed and go get ready instead of staring at the date and sending myself into a panic attack. I wash my hair, brush my teeth, do my natural makeup, and then get dressed in a gray, sleeveless tank top which shows a little bit of my stomach and sweatpants.

When I walk out, I see Kai waking up, his droopy eyes only making the sight more attractive.

"Sleeping Beauty is up," I make fun of him, trying to forget about today as I walk back to the bed.