Chapter 12: Agreement

Ivy's POV

Kai drives us to this woman's house.

He was going to drop me off at the office, but that would be wasting time so I said I'd just wait in the car.

Hearing about that. Not watching it, but hearing it. How a little girl's body was used. How scared she must have felt. How no one believed her, and now she's killing everyone who reminds her of her father who took away her choice and innocence. It's sickening.

I don't know how Kai does this for work.

"Stay here," Kai says when Luke steps out.

I nod, actually listening this time because I don't want to get in between any of this.

"Ivy, I actually mean it this time." He looks back at me seriously, making direct eye contact.

"Kai, I'm not stupid."

He gets out of the car and puts on a bulletproof vest. His gun is pulled out from his side with Luke beside him.

My heart begins to race because I never even considered the possibility that this woman may have a weapon. That she may begin shooting at Kai or Luke. That something awful could happen in just a few seconds.

I have to swallow as hard as I can and take in a deep breath to remind myself that they're professionals. They know what they're doing.

I watch him knock, but when he doesn't get an answer, he nods towards the door. Luke kicks his way in with the strength of his right foot.

They both disappear down the hall where I can't see them any longer.

My heart is beating faster than normal. I have to take another deep breath.

A bunch of other cars pull up, all of them agents along with Agent Kennedy, Rivers, and Theo. They all start surrounding the entire house just in case she escapes I'm guessing.

I feel a little useless being inside the car.

Then again, this isn't my field and I'd rather not have a gun held to my head. Her house also has that red mud, and I have on white sneakers. It's a lose-lose situation so I think it would be best for me to just stay put.

~~~~

Kai's POV

"Clear," Luke calls from the room to our right.

I walk in further with my gun held up, clearing the living room and kitchen.

"Grace Marin! FBI!"

We of course can't say the name of our actual organization, and FBI scares people enough.

I hear something rattle in the basement. Luke hears it at the same time as I do.

I usher for us to walk over and he obliges.

My hand opens the door cautiously, Luke standing at the side.

Once we see nobody is coming out, I go in first and then Luke enters behind me. It's a finished basement. The carpet looks in brand new condition and the walls look perfectly painted. She had recently moved here which is why the house looks so brand new.

So what the hell is that smell?

I step down from the last step, my eyes landing on Grace Marin in the living room area to my left immediately.