Chapter 34: Treatment

Ivy's POV

"Wait, let me see!" I hold the picture Kai's mom is showing me of Kai as a baby with cake smeared all over his adorable cheeks. His smile has not changed since he was a baby. His hair used to be much lighter, but it turned into a dirtier blonde over the years.

"I think we should eat-."

"Shhh." I hold my hand out at him, making him sit his ass right back down because this is what I deserve after the shit he pulled.

"I think I have one from his play too." His mom starts finding it on her phone.

My mouth drops excitedly. "You were in a play?!"

"Everyone in the class was," he defends.

"No, honey. Remember, this was the one you auditioned for." She hands the phone over to me as Kai sends a glare toward his wonderful mom.

My hand shoots to my mouth as I look at him in most likely elementary school, standing on stage in a dinosaur costume.

"Can you send these to me?" I practically beg his mother.

"No she can't," Kai says immediately.

"I'll send them," she whispers and I nod.

He rolls his eyes since he heard that while I'm on cloud nine with these pictures in my possession.

Ms.Hale agrees with Kai that we should eat once she's "discreetly" sent the pictures to me. I had said that I should get going so they can have their family time, but his mom rejected instantly and told me to sit my ass down at the diner table.

Her food looked delicious so I couldn't possibly object.

She explained to me that it was a dish called Musuka.

When I tried my first bite, I realized that it didn't just look amazing, but it tasted phenomenal too! I truthfully think I could eat this every day and not get sick of it.

"So Ivy, what do your parents do?" Ms.Hale asks me after a few minutes of us eating in silence.

I swallow my drink down.

"My mom manages a hotel."

"And your dad?"

"Mom," Kai warns her, but that's my best starter for jokes.

"He lays six feet under."

Ms.Hale's eyes widen while Kai sighs back in his seat.

Okay, that was funny.

"Oh my god," Ms.Hale realizes her mistake, holding her heart.

"He probably sees him too," I laugh.

Her eyes widen even further.

"I'm just kidding. He died when I was little," I realize that this is a tough crowd and they also happen to be looking at me like I just said I have magical superpowers.

"Our dad is dead too!" Josephine exclaims.

I love her!

"Josie," Kai exhales.

Ms.Hale tries to visibly hold in her laugh.

I knew I liked her.

His mom clears her throat after taking a sip of her drink. "Are you in college?"

"Yes, I'm a fashion major." I smile.

"Oh, any future job plans?"

"I just got a position to work for a popular designer in France." I look over at Kai when I say the last part which makes him smile at me.