CH 04

The heat of your laptop radiated through your jeans as your hands were placed on the keyboard of your laptop. You thought you were able to multi-task, completing your assignment while watching the match. You were very wrong as you were able to type one sentence the best half an hour with eyes on the national team. Kageyama set the ball to the back and in came Ushijima lifting his left arm and spiking the volleyball to the other side of the court. The way the ball landed sounded brutal as one half of the court cheered in victory. Damn, they were the real deal.

Uncle Fuki finished his lunch and gathered the boys to give comments. You were still in a daze from how mesmerized you were watching the match live and didn't realize your uncle eyeing you as a playful smirk plastered his features. "Y/n, what do you think?" He shouted towards the bleachers. Straightening your back, your teeth gritted as you glared at Uncle Fuki before glancing at the national players who were excited and curious about your response. "I... It was great! No doubt the national team... Ha." You trailed off wanting to slap yourself. "Y/n-chan, you are so nice!" Bokuto beamed with Hinata always agreeing with his statements. "Really? How do you feel watching our lefty Ushijima play? It's something new, right?" Uncle Fuki was seriously digging his own grave.

Ushijima looked in your direction and waited for your response. All you could do now was surrender to the redness seeping through your skin as your hands gripped onto the sides of your laptop. "He... Ushijima's great." Your throat dried up. Uncle Fuki gave you an 'are you serious' look from the scowl on his features. "I-I mean the spikes he managed to score were spinning at a faster pace and in a special direction! It's something you don't come in contact often!" You waved your hands in the air frantically, flustering and stuttering nonsense. "Thank you, y/n-san." Ushijima acknowledged your views and you bowed slightly with an awkward smile. "By the way, please just address me as y/n. Drop the formalities." You insisted. "Really?! Yay!" Hoshiumi cheered. "Ya can call me Atsumu or Tsumu or Tsum-Tsum. Whichever ya like!" Atsumu listed down the options as you nodded in response. "Me? What about me?" Bokuto pouted while pointing at himself as Sakusa groaned and shook his head, leaving what seemed to him an embarrassing scene.

As the crowd dispersed, you took this chance to pick a stray volleyball and served it towards Uncle Fuki's direction. However, you miscalculated the distance and watched the ball fly straight ahead hitting Ushijima's back. Gasping, you felt like crapping your pants and ran towards him. "I am so sorry, Ushijima! That ball wasn't mean for you- I-I mean..." You swallowed a lump and swore your heart was about to leap out of your mouth. Ushijima turned to face you looking stoic as usual and you watched his brows cock the slightest bit. Crap, he was mad.

"Nice serve."

What?

You angled your head to meet his olive eyes only to watch his lips tilt the slightest probably amused from how you embarrassed yourself. Ushijima walked away and picked the ball before joining the others who were laughing their hearts out. Ushijima's response was short yet humourous as he could sound like that at times from his blunt answers. Uncle Fuki was having the time of his life as you felt like crying from how stupid you looked not just in front of Ushijima but the whole team. All you wanted was to dig a hole and jump in it to hide.