CH 06

Ushijima noticed something. When the team visited your apartment that Sunday, there was something you did to catch his attention. You use your left hand a lot. From picking items to holding utensils and washing dishes. In his lifetime, Ushijima has rarely or never encountered anyone else who uses their left hand. Were you perhaps one? Ushijima wasn't one to poke his nose into others business but seeing another lefty made him curious. He just could not shake that thought off his head.

"Why are you my uncle?" 

"C'mon, it wasn't that bad!" 

"Who uses an air horn to wake people up?!" 

"It's an intervention." 

"You are just weird!"

After meeting you, the team always find your bickering with their coach entertaining and amusing. They learnt more about their coach's personality through you as they always interacted with him formally. Seeing their coach in a casual and laid back manner brought down some tensed walls between them. It happened again. You raised your left arm and slapped it on Uncle Fuki's back. Ushijima fixated his olive eyes on you watching you express your irritation with your left hand swinging in the air most of the time. You were about to throw your hands at Uncle Fuki when you spotted Ushijima staring at you. Feeling embarrassed, you hid behind Uncle Fuki and he wondered what made you stop abruptly as he scanned the perimeter to see Ushijima. A fatherly smile plastered his face and you felt Uncle Fuki giving you head pats.

"Good morning, coach!" "Morning, fellas. Today we will be..." Your uncle went on about the training schedule for today as you sat on the bleachers. The reason why Uncle Fuki dragged you to the training centre was that you were practically sobbing that your next semester's classes were held at 8 am and you live an hour away from your university. He took this opportunity to "train" you to wake up early knowing how much you loved to sleep and laze around in bed. C'mon, who doesn't want more sleep and hate early classes? There you sat looking like a part of the living dead due to how lifeless your eyes were. After the briefing, the team did their warm-ups and did some running around the court. You were so sleepy that you didn't realize that Ushijima was making his way over towards you. 

"Y/n-san." 

"I told y'all I'm fine without the formalities..." 

"Oh, my bad."

Processing the deep voice, you were instantly awake and you looked up to see Ushijima. "Oh! Hey, Ushijima. What's up?" You internally facepalmed from your stupidity. "Are you left-handed?" Hearing that question made your features drop and shifted uncomfortably in your seat. Silence filled the air with Ushijima standing before you like your eyes tried not to make any eye contact. "Y/n?" "Y-Yeah?" "You've yet to answer me." Recalling that question made your body stiffen. After all this time to try quitting that stupid habit, you were still caught. Gosh, this was upsetting. "I'm sorry, I got to use the bathroom." You excused yourself and ran out of the gymnasium. Ushijima stood there watching you leave and little did he know that he touched a sensitive topic. Uncle Fuki came by and wondered what made you leave in a hurry. He asked Ushijima for the details and when he heard the younger male, his features dropped.

"I asked if she was left-handed, coach."

"Oh, Wakatoshi..."