CH 07

When you were six, your mother received a call from the school. There you sat with her and your teacher on the other side of the table. Your worksheets were placed before your mother and heard your teacher expressing her discontent with your unruly writing. Were you perhaps dyslexic? Sure, kids at that age tend to have messy writings but yours was on another level. Letters floated off the lines, some letters and numbers inverted making it hard to read. You felt it. You felt the wrath emitting from your mother from the way she glared at you from the side of her eyes. You dreaded going home knowing what was in store for you.

Pain. The burning sensation on your left palm throbbed as your mother hit it with a cane. "Why couldn't you use your left hand? Is it that hard?!" She yelled while you cried silently. Your mother wanted you to stand out. She wanted you to be perfect and special. Sending you to enrichment and music classes back-to-back and ultimately, she wanted you to use your left hand. She wanted you to be a lefty. It was something unique and rare. From young, she trained you to make use of your left hand from picking food from your chopsticks to writing. Beatings were the result if you failed to do so.

"That's enough!" A voice echoed through the cold room. Looking to your left, there you saw your grandmother and behind her was your favourite Uncle Fuki and Aunt Yumi. "Stay out of this, mother!" "Seiko, I don't understand why you are forcing something on your daughter that she wasn't born with." Your grandmother sighed in disapproval. Through your teary eyes, all you felt was being lifted and carried away from your mother with shushing and pats to calm you down. "You went overboard, Seiko. This is too much!" Uncle Fuki raised his voice to his younger sister. "Stay out of this! You have no right to interfere with how I teach my child!" "Teach? More like torture! You are in need of serious help!" Crying, you hide your face into the crook of Aunt Yumi's neck as she stroked your back with a frown on her face sending glares to your mother.

Bags were heard being picked up and you were brought away. All you could hear was your mother yelling at your uncle and aunt to return you to her. One of the haunting memories of your childhood was seeing your mother getting stopped by your grandmother in fury and tears as Uncle Fuki closed the door behind your apartment in Osaka. Just like that, you moved to Tokyo under your uncle and aunt's care. During your first few weeks of moving in, you couldn't stop crying from the constant nightmares. There you were in Uncle Fuki's arms in the middle of the night, him just coming back from an overseas match. He shared a concerned look with Aunt Yumi who sat next to him. You were broken and it was unfair for a child. Uncle Fuki and Aunt Yumi couldn't bear seeing you like this.

They were the best. Uncle Fuki and Aunt Yumi made you feel things you rarely did with your mother. Love, patience and care. Things good parents do to their children. You were glad that your older cousins, Haru and Yuki, loved and protected you like the older brothers you never had. They played with you, gave you everything you wanted and sometimes even fighting with each other just to spend time with you. They taught you with your homework and made sure nobody was bullying you in your new school. You were their precious little sister.

Aunt Yumi was the mother you always wanted. She encouraged you to try new things and spent time with you on the weekends to bake. She let you made your own decisions which was something your mother never did. "Remember it's your choice to decide what will stick to you for life, sweetie." She stroked your head lovingly. Staring at the pencil, you reached for it with your right hand and started writing. This was probably your first time writing with your dominant hand without having to feel stressed or scared. You felt like you were yourself for the first time and happiness filled you. In her eyes, Aunt Yumi loved you like her own.

"I'm back!" "Papa!" "Uncle Fuki!" The three of you kiddos ran to your uncle who just came back from Canada, where that year's Volleyball Nations League (VNL) was held. He brought home goodies and souvenirs making all of you squeal in excitement. "This is for you, y/n." He bent to your height to meet your eyes. They sparkled. The sight of the new teddy bear made you grin and jump in your place. "Thank you, Uncle Fuki!" You beamed and hugged it to your chest. "You're welcome, sweetheart. I'll do anything for you to see that precious smile on your face." Uncle Fuki cupped your face and planted a kiss on your forehead. He doted you from the depths of his heart. His one and only niece was now considered his daughter.

You now had a family. The family you always wished for.

A/N: I'M SORRY FOR THE ANGST JDJSJDJSD