CH 14

How long has it been since you felt this way? Sure, you had your eye on Ushijima when you met him for the first time as an eye-candy but certain feelings were washing over. Whenever you see him, butterflies fluttered in your stomach and your heart thudding against your chest. There were times you felt awkward with him, not knowing how to start to continue a conversation in real life. It was easier through text because his absence did not make you feel nervous or flustered. Letting out a breath, you slung your bag around a shoulder and exited the school's library. Ayumi and Eiko were on medical leave after getting soaked in the rain two days ago and were now experiencing a cold along with fever. You were very sure that you have nagged at them countless times to not do that after knowing them since high school. However, they turned a deaf ear and fell sick.

A buzz was felt indicating a text and you lifted your phone to see who it was. Your lips curled at the sender's name and your heart flipped. It was from Ushijima and he alerted you that he has reached your university. He offered to pick you up as his training ended early and it just so happens you were going home around the same time. Furthermore, Ushijima was aware that you had the tendency to easily feel cold as he noticed veins seeping through your hands that day. He did not want you to walk in this chilly weather and fall ill. His sweet intentions made you wonder what did you do to deserve this treatment. You replied that you were on the way to his ride as you took a left turn. However, when you were reaching where Ushijima was, you saw a figure that you dreaded to see.

"Y/n, can we talk?" Mako pleaded. Ignoring him, you walked faster causing Mako to chase up to you. He reached for your wrist to halt you but you flinched the grip off yourself. "Don't touch me." You hissed, glaring him up and down. "I didn't get the chance to explain myself thoroughly. Give me a chance." Mako requested. Scoffing, you shook your head at how ridiculous he was and stormed your way to meet Ushijima. However, Mako kept pestering and following your tail even though you were firm and there were times you gave him glares that you were going to punch him sooner or later. You were right when you said he had low EQ. How could he not understand or feel the uneasiness radiating off you? What an airhead or worse.

"Stop following me!" You yelled and slapped his hand away from your knit cardigan. "I will leave you alone after this." Mako grabbed the strap of your bag. Having enough, you slapped his hand off once again and widened your eyes in anger. "Stop it." You sneered, shoving a pointer finger in his face before pushing him harshly. With that, you made a run and eventually spotted a black BMW and in it was Ushijima waiting for you. Feeling relieved, you ran towards him and opened the door of the passenger seat. "Drive." You gulped with eyes looking out for Mako. "Is everything, alright?" Ushijima furrowed his brows in concern. You looked dishevelled and uneasy with a tinge of anger. He was about to drive when Mako appeared. Oh, so this was what it's about. "Wait for me." He clicked the buckle of the seatbelt, flicking his wrist to adjust the watch that was slightly slipping off his wrist. "No! Don't leave me, Ushijima." You pleaded. Just then, a hand stroked your cheek. "I'll be back after settling this once and for all." He assured gently through his deep voice. Stunned, all you did was nod and watched Ushijima leaving the car.

Witnessing the scene unravel, Ushijima towered Mako who seemed shocked and scared. It was as if he did not expect Ushijima to be here after that encounter with him a few weeks again. Staring down at him, Ushijima's olive eyes clouded with unhappiness before parting his lips to speak. "What are you doing to y/n?" He questioned. "I..." "Didn't I make myself clear that day? Or do you not understand words?" Ushijima cut him off. Mako's shoulders tightened when Ushijima wrapped a hand around the back of his neck, squeezing it. He was being led back in campus wondering what was happening. "A-Are you going to beat me up?" He swallowed a lump. "Something better than that," Ushijima answered monotonously.

Chewing your inner cheek, you wondered what was taking so long. You panicked when you saw Ushijima and Mako entering campus and that was the last time you saw this. It was when Ushijima was seen without Mako as he made his way to the car. What happened? Entering the car, Ushijima started the engine and drove off in silence. "What happened back there?" You broke the atmosphere. "Like I said, settling him once and for all," Ushijima responded and took a right turn. Widening your eyes, you patted his arm and swallowed a lump. "Did you bash him up?" You whispered with squinted eyes, not liking where this was going. A low chuckle was heard as Ushijima shook his head and glanced at the rear mirror to look out for any incoming cars before moving to the other lane. "I don't hit people, y/n." "Then what did you do to him?" "I sent him to the office and told them about what happened."

Hearing that made you blink and processed what he said. Oh, so he really meant it when he wanted to get this over and done with. Bringing Mako to the campus' office meant either him getting expelled or suspended. Ushijima gave you a heads up that the campus might find you to get more details about it as you nodded and slumped back against the passenger seat. Stopping at the red light, Ushijima turned to face you. "I hope I didn't go far." He smiled weakly. "No. Of course, you didn't." You shook your head. Relieve washed over him as Ushijima was afraid that he might have overreacted and caused more trouble for you. "I'm glad to hear that. Just don't want you to live with such harassment." His hands outlined the steering wheel with eyes on the road.

His side profile caught your attention. His cool olive eyes, sharp nose and define jawline along with a shirt and black trench coat. The fall evening added more to the atmosphere as Ushijima waited patiently for the red light to turn green. "Ushijima?" You called for him in a whisper. "Yes?" He hummed in response. Somehow, this junction's traffic light was taking longer than or was it things started to go slow motion. Whatever it was, you found yourself leaning towards him. Go with how you feel. That was what your friends said. You felt everything was laid nicely for you to carry out the next move.

Pressing your lips against his cheek, you gave Ushijima a grateful kiss before pulling away. His cheeks were on fire and the tips of his ears red. "Was that too much? Just wanted to thank you." Your features fell worriedly. Straightening his back, Ushijima turned to face you. "No, not at all." He shook his head. In fact, he liked it. He enjoyed how your soft lips touched his cheek and how it warmed him up in this chilly weather. Humming, you kissed him again, finding one was not enough after all he was done for you. His cologne made your chest tingle and pulled away after a few seconds. Ushijima's cheek now had a stain from your tinted lip balm. "Oh, I should clean that away." You scrambled to your bag to pull out a tissue. Reaching for your hand shakily, Ushijima placed his bigger hand on top of yours to stop you. "No, it's fine." He assured and paused. "I like it..." He confessed shyly. Gosh, this man knew how to make you feel things. "You're adorable, Ushijima." You giggled at the sight. "Wakatoshi." He corrected and you stopped breathing for a moment.

"You're adorable, Wakatoshi."