CH 42

It was game day. Fans and spectators filled the stadium wearing jerseys of their favourite players as children chased one another to see who reaches their designated seat first. You had a short meet-up with Aunt Yumi, Yuki and Haru who were at the stadium too to watch the match and eventually parted ways to get to their seats. In your hands resided a sling pass as you wore it over your neck before entering the locker rooms.

Uncle Fuki was spotted not long after you got there, speaking to some of the players of today's match. As usual, you were warmly welcomed by Bokuto and Hinata, adding Hoshiumi to the mix and Atsumu teasing you as usual. Sakusa discreetly shuffled his way behind you and reached for the hem of your shirt to tug it, announcing his presence through non-verbal cues. The group of you spoke for a while, not forgetting your usual childish bickering with Uncle Fuki. You spent a few more minutes with them before leaving the area to find him.

The door of team Japan's locker room was open as you poked your head from the corner. There you saw your boyfriend doing some last minute nail filing while sitting on the bench in silence. "Need help there?" Ushijima looked ahead to spot you as his stoic features were shattered by a soft smile. You laughed lightly while approaching him, taking the filer and helping out with the last fingers. "How are you feeling, baby?" Ushijima pondered for a moment before parting his lips to respond. "I'm feeling alright. It's just another match that-" "That you're gonna win?" His lips tilted upon you finishing his sentence. You know him so well. Nodding, he watched you inserting the nail filer neatly into the kit before taking out a wet wipe from your crossbody bag.

"Well, you still need some luck to win. I know you probably would deny that though. "You carefully wiped his hands to clean off the particles. "I used to think that way until I met you." Your body lagged while processing those words but failed to do so when he continued. "You're my lucky charm, love." Ushijima smiled handsomely. A pout to mask your internal meltdown was a cover up to have a cool front but you found yourself smiling giddily and wrapping your arms around his shoulders. "Am I know?" Instead of answering through words, Ushijima planted a peck on your lips to confirm what he said. In return, you picked up his hands and give them kisses as if  casting a magic spell to have everything running smoothly for him later.

"Though you didn't emerge top three during the Olympics earlier this year. You'll always be a winner in my eyes, Toshi." With that, your hands reached to the back of your neck to undo the necklace you were wearing. You cleared your throat as if going to make a great speech, "The winner of l/n y/n's heart is..." You made drumroll noises to add to the built up. "Ushijima Wakatoshi!" You cheered and bounced in joy before locking the necklace over him. Ushijima's heart fluttered as he brought up his hands to your hips to pull you towards him. "The winner will now receive a kiss for having the ability to capture the one and only l/n y/n's heart." The playing pretend phase carried on with you giving your boyfriend a big kiss on his lips. In a swift motion, you found yourself falling into Ushijima's lap and was brought into a loving gaze. "Thank you, my love. You're right, I'll be the only winner of your heart." "You bet your handsome face you are!"

The match between Japan and Iran started. You sat next to Aunt Yumi while spectating the intense match. Team Iran was one of the best volleyball teams in Asia and the game was intense. Tension filled the air as everyone was on the edge of their seats. Each set lasted at least half an hour and now the score was 2-2. It was now the fifth and determining set of who was going to be the winner of this match to advance to the semi-finals. The sound of the whistle beep was heard to indicate the fifth set to start. Kageyama bounced the volleyball a few times before serving to the other side of the court. Team Iran managed to receive the ball flawlessly and the ball was set to their opposite hitter to score a point. However, Bokuto and Sakusa were quick to have the perfect block, resulting team Japan to earn their first point for the final set.

Unlike the other sets which needed 25 points, the fifth set needed 15 points, making the match nail-biting. Points for each other came head to head and it was Ushijima's turn to serve. Your lips pursed as you watched him throw the ball in the air and serving it to the other side of the court. It all happened so quickly even the crowd was silent for a moment before roars filled the air. It was a perfect service ace. Since he managed to score an ace, Ushijima still had the position to serve. The whistle beeped as a go sign and Ushijima did not waste any second to send the ball with a powerful hit. Team Iran became antsy as they tried to receive the ball but failed when they miscalculated. Another service ace!

Hinata was running around the court in excitement as Ushijima had two aces in a row. Looks like this final set was going to end faster than expected. Uncle Fuki could not help but smirk when watching Ushijima serve. His chest rose and was filled with waves of proudness. Holding the ball with both hands, Ushijima took a few moments to compose himself before serving. Team Iran looked a little uptight as they tried predicting where the ball was going to but failed again when he landed another service ace. This was crazy and the crowd was going wild. Aunt Yumi shook you in joy while your cousins nudged each other playfully.

It was as if what Ushijima claimed was true, you were his lucky charm. He managed to have four- No, five aces in a row and it was such an easy game for team Japan. "Wakatoshi-kun should've been a setter!" Atsumu yelled, approving his fellow teammate's skills. Bouncing the ball, Ushijima eyed the other end of the court like an eagle. He noticed a switch of players on team Iran but that did not taunt him one bit. Instead, he smirked slightly. Again, he served the ball with more power this time that a 'smack' was heard. Team Iran was moving with heads up while eyeing the ball. They wanted to keep the game going for longer. However, that wish was never fulfilled. Instead the crowd cheered in joy and Ushijima was tackled by the team. It was another service ace. Six flawless aces in a row. Team Japan took the match. They managed advance to the semi-finals!

It all fell into place.
You were his lucky charm.
He was your winner.