CH 08

You were scrolling through Tiktok before turning in for the day when you received a text. Opening it, your brows furrowed realizing that it was from an unknown number. Your eyes widened reading the text and made you shot up from your laying position before your hands turned cold and trembled a little with a racing heart.

Ushijima: "Good evening, y/n. This is Ushijima. I'd like to apologize for what happened at the gymnasium after seeing how uncomfortable you looked."

Y/n: "Hi, Ushijima. Don't worry about it, I'm fine. Sorry for reacting in that manner."

Ushijima: "Please don't apologize for I was the one who touched a sensitive topic. Coach Hibarida explained a little and I can relate to it."

Y/n: "Do you?"

Ushijima: "Yes, I was hoping if you'd like to meet tomorrow for a cup of coffee. I just want to make sure you are alright."

Y/n: "Ushijima, you really don't have to. It's not that deep."

Ushijima: "I will keep thinking about it, y/n. We should clear it face-to-face. I'll see you tomorrow at Mellower cafe, 3pm."

Y/n: "If you say so... Thanks, Ushijima. I really appreciate your effort."

Ushijima: "It's what I'm supposed to do. Goodnight, y/n."

Y/n: "Goodnight, Ushijima. See you tomorrow."

What was this? That thought was running through your mind while walking to the cafe. You were about to meet Ushijima one-to-one as if going on a date. Slapping your cheek, you stayed out of that stupid thought. Stop being delusional, stupid. Realizing that you were nearing the cafe, you looked up to see Ushijima waiting next to the entrance. He was in casual wear which was a fresh sight considering that you have only seen him in training attire and of course, the jersey. "Hi, Ushijima. Were you waiting for a long time?" You tried to stay composed. "No, I was here five minutes before you." Acknowledging his response, Ushijima reached out for the handle of the glass door and pulled it, letting you head in first. The kind move made your cheeks flush and your heart skipping a beat.

Your eyes laid on the menu board behind the cashier and you decided to go with your usual whenever you visited Mellower cafe. Reaching for your wallet, you were about to pay when a beep was heard. Ushijima nonchalantly inserted his credit card back into his wallet and took the beverages from the barista. After finding a spot, you noticed Ushijima shifting between the two seats making you wonder why he did that. "You can take that seat. The air-conditioner at this seat is colder." Ushijima placed the tray on the table and sat on the side where it was colder. "O-Oh, thank you." Pulling the chair, you took your sit and Ushijima has already placed your chosen beverage before you. What a gentleman.

"Thanks for the drink, Ushijima. You shouldn't have." Your hands wrapped around the mug. "No worries. I'd like to apologize again for yesterday. We have similar childhoods." Widening your eyes, you angled your gaze to Ushijima who just took a sip and placed his olive orbs on you. "My mother disliked me being left-handed." What? He continued that his mother expressing to fix his left-handedness from a young age as it was a tradition of his maternal side. You couldn't help but grimace hearing his story though it was similar to yours. "But your left-handedness brought you the successful career you have now." You expressed your thoughts. Ushijima looked out at the glass panel before parting his lips. "That's what my father thought too. I guess he was right." He hummed. "You guess? Your father was absolutely right! I would 100% award him the 'Best Father' award." You sat up a little with hands on the table. Ushijima's eyes widened before his lips curled ever so slightly. Why? That's because someone else acknowledged his father's intentions of protecting his left-handedness.

Since Ushijima shared his childhood, you thought it was only fair if you did too. You started off saying that your parents were divorced and your mother took custody of you. The divorce greatly affected her and she took it out on you to make sure that you were the perfect child. She wanted to prove to your father that you would turn out great even without his presence. It started from the many enrichment classes to forcing you to be left-handed to stand out. One day, your uncle and aunt came by to take you away from her ridiculous antics, moving you to Tokyo with them and your cousins. You couldn't imagine what you would be without Uncle Fuki and Aunt Yumi. They were your everything. The parents you wanted along with your cousins, who were more like siblings.

Another same fact. Both of your parents were divorced. "Seems like we led similar childhoods, y/n." "Yeah, but yours was chiller than mine." You chuckled, trying to lighten the atmosphere. The day went on with both of you sharing more about each other. Ushijima's father was in the USA while your father never really appeared in your life. It was a new experience how Ushijima opened and shared so much with you as he was one to keep to himself unless asked. He felt comfortable with you and appreciated your little reactions like how your eyes gleamed in curiosity, invested in his sharings. You were such a warm and bubbly individual. Looks like befriending his coach's niece wasn't bad afterall.