CH 17

"What's up with you?" Eiko's voice broke through the daze you were in. Straightening your back, you scratched your cheek and shook your head. Ayumi squinted her eyes, not convinced with your response. The three of you were at Starbucks after school to finish an essay and submitting it together before midnight. That date with Ushijima has been running through your head and it seemed impossible to shake it off. You reached for your iced latte but it was snatched away by Ayumi. Glancing ahead, your brows furrowed and clicked your tongue, demanding her to return your drink. "Well, not until you tell us why you have been acting weird. Are you on drugs?" Eiko cocked a brow.

Ignoring her, you snatched the cup back and grumbled under your breath before taking an aggressive sip. "It must be a dude," Ayumi commented. Hearing that made you choke and spit the contents, hurriedly taking a tissue to wipe your mouth. "Told ya," She snickered and nudged Eiko who was laughing along too. "So, who's the lucky guy who captured our y/n's heart?" Eiko smirked teasingly. Looking around, you rubbed your nape and rested a cheek on your arm before parting your lips to speak. "Ushijima..." You whispered, averting your gaze. Squeals were heard and the table rocked from how they were jumping in joy. "What about him?" Ayumi asked giddily from the excitement rushing through her veins. "We... We went on a date." You responded softly. "And? How was it?" Eiko kicked your legs lightly under the table. "It was goo- No, amazing." You corrected, sounding dazed after recalling that night. Both your friends share teasing looks, knowing that you have gotten yourself a good catch. "So, you call him Waka-chan or?" "Shut up."

The sound of volleyball spikes filled the gymnasium. Ushijima has been bouncing a volleyball for the past few minutes, earning the attention of the others. Hoshiumi nudged Kageyama, starting a conversation as he wondered what has gotten into the oldest of the gang. Kageyama shrugged, not wanting to make assumptions and it was when his eyes widened when a volleyball was flying towards Ushijima. He yelled for him to watch out but 'oof's were heard when the volleyball smacked Ushijima's arm. It seemed like it snapped him out of whatever was occupying his mind as he calmly picked the ball up, looking around in wonder of who it came from. "Sorry, Ushiwaka!" Bokuto cried and jogged to his fellow teammate. "You alright?" "Yeah, no worries," Ushijima assured. "Okay, okay! What's going on?" Atsumu cocked his brow with hands on his hips. Ushijima noticed that everyone had eyes on him and blinked in confusion. "Me?" He pointed to himself. "Who else, Ushijima-san? You seem to be in a daydream the whole day." Hinata teased.

"Sorry, did that affect you guys?" "Well, not really- Wait, you didn't deny that you were daydreaming!" Bokuto's eyes brightened at the realization. "Are you feeling alright, Wakatoshi-kun?" Sakusa chimed in. All Ushijima did was hum and served the volleyball to the other side of the court. It was when Uncle Fuki entered the gymnasium with a clipboard for the briefing and found the silence weird. He looked ahead to see the team crowded with heads turned to Ushijima. "Afternoon, fellas!" "Hey, coach!" They greeted in unison and gathered before him. Carrying his job as coach, Uncle Fuki briefed the team about today's practice schedule. Letting out a satisfied hum upon ending the briefing, he scanned the team and placed a hand on his hip. "In other news, what happened before I arrived? You fellas are acting like teenage boys. I mean, you always have." Uncle Fuki chuckled as the team whined. "Coach, I don't think Ushijima-san is in the right condition to practice." Kageyama raised a hand.

Hearing that made Ushijima fluster but he tried his best to stay calm. However, the red on his cheeks and the tips of his ears betrayed him. "Hm? Is that so, Ushijima? That's weird because y/n may be sick too. She's been coping herself in her room." Uncle Fuki recalled that nowadays you have been in your room more and often coming out holding onto your face. "Y/n's ill? She didn't tell me about it-" Ushijima shut himself up immediately. Everyone put two and two together as Atsumu leapt from his spot with widened eyes. "Wakatoshi-kun, yer dating y/n-chan?!" He yelled, pointing a finger at Ushijima who was in a mess before the rest of the team jumped around. "Is that so?" Uncle Fuki's voice broke the chaotic moment as the team simmered down eyes glancing at their coach and teammate. "Let's start practising, guys." Sakusa led the way with the others following him like ducklings. "Are you perhaps jealous, Omi-Omi?" Bokuto poked his shoulder. "I'm not, Bokuto." Sakusa sighed, not understanding why the team always think this way.