CH 34

The secret was out. News broke out that Ushijima was in a relationship and with some researching on you, people were aware that you were the niece of the national team's coach. Your phone was blasted with messages and call, mostly to ask if you were fine. Even the team texted to check on you. Uncle Fuki and Aunt Yumi called you to ask if everything was fine with Yuki and Haru chiming in from time to time, the girls, Eiko and Ayumi, spammed the group chat to telling you that they were trying to help do some damage control as other friends were asking about it.

Ushijima on the other hand has been on the phone with his manager. The man looked stressed from how his brooding body slouched on the couch, occasionally having a hand running through his hair. It was only 8 am in the morning and you both had to deal with this issue. The paparazzi caught both of you having a night out with pictures of you exiting Ushijima's car and him reaching from behind to grab your hand before crossing the road.

Ending the call, Ushijima placed his phone aside and stared out the windows for a moment. You came in at the right time to see the stressed look he had going on with his side profile hanging a little. Making your way to him, Ushijima noticed you and spread his legs knowing that you would sit on his lap which you did. "Hey, baby." You sat facing him and stroked his hair affectionately. "Are you alright, love? I'll get this fixed. I promise." Letting out a sigh, you cupped his cheeks and pulled yourself closer to him with faces inches away before reassuring him that you were doing fine.

Your hands travelled to his bare chest, a hand rubbing a pec in soothing circles to calm his nerves. Ushijima may not forwardly show his emotions most of the time but it was different when it regarded you. "Everything's going to be fine, Toshi. So long as we have each other, nothing's impossible. Don't worry too much, alright? Also, I'm here for you if you ever want to talk." Ushijima found himself holding onto your hips with his eyes focusing on how his thumbs rubbed them gently. Being vulnerable in other's eyes was one thing he did not want to be seen but he felt safe to show this side of him. He knew that you would not ever judge him and use it against him.

A light smack on both his cheeks was felt and he was forced to look at you in the eye. "Why's my handsome baby pouting?" Ushijima just blinked at you and sent your body to produce butterflies. Pecks were planted on his lips and a loud smooch was given for the last one. "C'mon! I think we're both hungry from using too much of our brains this crazy morning. Gonna make breakfast now, hm? Love you, handsome." Ushijima watched you skip to the kitchen and a soft smile plastered his features. Yeah, it was going to be fine.

Truth to be told, you were worried and a little scared. You were more worried for Ushijima than for yourself knowing that fans had a role to play for his career. You did not dare to open any social media platforms especially Twitter. Heck, you even told Eiko and Ayumi to not tell you whatever they have researched or saw on Twitter from fan accounts. Your boyfriend was your priority and you knew you had to give him more attention than usual to pick out the smallest uneasiness he has knowing how his personality was.

Ushijima was given two days off and you knew you had to make use of it. "Baby, what do you wanna do?" Ushijima sat by the edge of the bed and looked over to you. "Can we... Can you hold me?" He requested softly. How could you turn him down? Motioning him to come over, you told him to lay on top of you which he did and planted his face in between your chest. He inhaled your comforting scent while you flipped the movies offered on Netflix. Ushijima angled his head to look at you which earned him a boop on his nose and a sweet smile from you.

The moment was cut short when his phone rang and he got off from you to answer it. "Hello? Yes-" From the tone and the slight frown, you had a bad feeling of whoever was on the other end of the call. Ushijima's words were constantly cut off as if he was berated by countless questions at a go. He looked overwhelmed too and that was confirmed when he balled his sweatpants. You could not continue sitting at the sidelines witnessing how distressed your boyfriend was. In a swift motion, you took the device from him and jumped out of the bed and headed to stand by the windows.

"Hello? May I know who I'm speaking to?" You asked. It was a journalist who wanted to get more insight of the current situation. "Are you (l/n) (f/n)? You're Hibarida Fuki's niece and Ushijima-san's girlfriend, right? You-" "Look, I know you're trying to do your job but I believe there are some boundaries you don't cross. First off, yes I am both. Secondly, how did you get Wakatoshi's number? I'm sure this must be a violation against some rule. Also, I'm going to say this once. If you people think I'm going to like that significant other who chooses to keep quiet and let my boyfriend do the talking, then you are wrong. I don't want you lot to be blasting my boyfriend's phone and make use of his vulnerability to your advantage. Tell this to your colleagues too. If not, I'm going to sue you. Did I make yourself clear?"

Walking over to Ushijima, you smoothened his hair and stood in between his legs, feeling him laying his head on your chest. "Don't even think about contacting my uncle or my friends. I know how you people will go all out to get the latest news." After a few moments, you hung up the call and did not even bother to bid farewell. Grumbles spilt under your breath as you placed his phone on the nightstand after switching to 'do not disturb' mode.

"It's over, baby. You're alright, hm?" Your tone and demeanour changed to a soft and loving one in a split second. "I'm going to shoo them off for you." Ushijima propped his chin on your sternum while you caressed his back. He needed someone in his life to pick up the subtle signs he portrays and one in standing before him. "Thank you, my love. I was overwhelmed by her full list of questions." "I know, baby. That's why I swooped in to help. I'm sorry that happened to you." Sighing, your heart shattered thinking how hard it must be for not only him but people in the public's eye. All you wanted was to protect your boyfriend and share his burdens.