CH 44

Months went by and your relationship with Ushijima was stronger than ever. Sure, there were misunderstandings here and there but both of you settled it maturely. Even if there were times Ushijima did not understand where you were coming from, you would sit him down and explain it to him patiently. You could not stay mad at him especially when he comes back with flowers or something he thought you might like to make it up to you. Often of times, you would let out a huff and tackle him into a hug and a bunch of kisses.

There were times when you both went out for a date and it was for sure that people would recognize you. You were still trying to get used to being in the public's eye but nonetheless, you had Ushijima with you as assurance. When he was absent and you were just running errands like in at the supermarket, people had nothing but praises with their encounter with you. They described you as friendly and kind, always letting out a small smile out of courtesy. You were sometimes seen hanging out with certain members of the national team but what shocked the public was when there were pictures of you on a friendly date with Sakusa at a cafe. Yes, the Sakusa Kiyoomi enjoyed being around you.

Ushijima brought you to meet his father, Utsui, one winter day during December. Turns out Utsui and Uncle Fuki were teammates back in the day and given how you were with Uncle Fuki, you practically called him to trash it out. Utsui liked you upon the first meeting as you were so sweet and outgoing to him, almost like a daughter, and he enjoyed watching the dynamics between you and Ushijima. A fatherly smile adorned his features at the thought of his son finding a partner who understands him and loved him unconditionally from what he witnessed. While Ushijima had gone to the bathroom, Utsui showed you some childhood pictures of your boyfriend. You practically fawned over his chubby cheeks and cooed at a video of him playing volleyball with Utsui.

You have been on your laptop since you woke up to complete your final year project. You could not believe that this was the last assignment you were going to hand in before graduating early next year. A sigh escaped your lips and glanced at the clock indicating 11:33 pm. Ushijima was on the bed doing his own thing when he heard you clicking your tongue in annoyance. "Why didn't I see that mistake?" Referring to a spelling error. Something about that sight snapped something in him as he stared at your focused self. Little did he know that a loving smile crept up his features while watching you finish up your last assignment as a university student. A small 'yes' escaped your lips as you clicked the 'submit' button on the student page before stretching your sore body from sitting all day. You closed your laptop and sent a few texts to Eiko and Ayumi before joining Ushijima in bed.

"Finally..." You sighed in relief and plopped yourself face down. Crawling to him a few seconds later, you snuggled against Ushijima's warmth and felt him pulling you closer. "I can't believe that was my last assignment. I'm graduating." Disbelief still flowed through your body as you shook your head at the thought. Ushijima congratulated you and rewarded you with a kiss on the cheek. A comfortable silence filled the room and you closed your eyes to savour the moment. "I've been looking at new places." Opening an eye, you frowned slightly wondering why would he since this penthouse was perfect in your eyes. "Got to have a better location, preferably near schools and offices." He added on. "Toshi, of all things you had to bring up schools when I literally just got that off my head." You smacked his chest lightly and as you were about to retract, he held onto it making you look up at him.

There was a look that you have not seen before. He looked serious yet loving as his olive eyes stared deeply into yours. "You're graduating." "Yeah, I know." You chuckled at his actions but was still slightly confused, not knowing what he was trying to say. "That means we're going to get married." It was as if the world paused as your breath hitched and you sat up with wide eyes staring back at him. Ushijima did the same and made his way to a drawer, rummaging through some things. After a few moments, he picked up a blue velvet box and approached you. A gasp left your lips when he stood before you and got on one knee.

"Toshi..." You breathed as your throat started strangling you and a sting was felt in your nose. "This is probably the worst way to propose though I asked Tendou for help but all he did was give cheesy ideas which you might cringe to." Ushijima sighed as you choked out a chuckle. "So I decided to carry out with how I feel and here we are. Will you marry me, y/n?" This was so Ushijima, not beating about the bush and cutting straight to the point. "Yes, o-of course! I'll marry you, Wakatoshi." You nodded with tears rolling down your cheeks. Ushijima let out a huge smile which was probably your first time seeing him like this, your pupils dilated at the rare and beautiful sight. This was the man you were getting married to and there was no ounce of regret. The shining diamond ring slipped through your ring finger as you could not stop smiling. The moment he stood up, you lunged to him for a tight embrace and a sweet kiss.

Pulling away breathless, you cupped his face and laughed a bit, feeling him nuzzling his nose against yours. "I'm relieved that you accepted my proposal since it wasn't grand." "Are you kidding me, baby? That was the so your way of doing things and I love a man of originality. Now, I'm engaged to one!" You smooched his lips again. "Plus, you're house hunting for us. I love me a man who prepares beforehand and has everything planned out." Ushijima chuckled and settled both of you on the bed with you laying on his sturdy chest. "I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you, Toshi." You sighed in bliss, adrenaline still pumping through your veins, finding it surreal that you were now engaged. Your hand was picked up and brought to his lips, feeling a kiss on the ring before fingers got intertwined. "Me too, love. I'm excited for us." Ushijima agreed with a lovely smile.