CH 10

Which should you pick? You have standing before an array of chocolate with delicate designs. If you picked something simple, it might come off as insincere while if you picked something extravagant, you might come off as try-hard. Amidst your thoughts, you felt a pair of eyes looking through your soul making you look up. It was a red-headed bald man with large eyes resting his arms on the counter. "Having trouble picking, missy?" He asked. "Uh, yeah..." You scratched your forehead in embarrassment. "I see. Purchasing for someone you admire?" "Huh?! No, no! Just a friend!" "Aye~ They always say that." He teased.

Puckering your lips, you bent down to have a closer look at the pretty looking chocolates along with small confectionery like cakes and macaroons. You later learnt that the man was a chocolatier, Tendou Satori, owner of this dainty shop which opened a few months ago. You didn't believe him at first considering how business was booming and that was when he shared he was in France for a while to upgrade his skills in order to have the knowledge to start his business. "Lemme guess. You might have a thing bubbling for whoever you are buying chocolates for." He played a guessing game. The wide and shocked look in your eyes made Tendou grin in victory knowing that he has caught you.

"Don't worry, missy. I'll help you out! Describe to me what kind of person is he or she?" Tendou gave a headstart. "He's rather the quiet type. Speaks whatever's in his mind and is passionate about his career. Honestly, he's living the life." You responded after thinking for a while. Noises were heard causing you to tilt your head to see a box gently pushed towards you. It was six pieces of chocolate with different minimalistic designs from abstract lines to scattered gold flakes. "This is perfect, Tendou!" Your eyes gleamed in joy, impressed with his choices. "Your description reminded me of a close high school friend of mine, Heck, we're best buds!" Tendou chirped. "You are awesome and definitely deserve to run this amazing shop!" You smiled widely before proceeding to payment. "Thank you! I'll definitely come back here. Bye, Tendou!" "Mhm. Go along, missy! Come back and tell me if your love story works out!" "H-Hey!" You chuckled and waved as the door swung its way to close.

Y/n: "Hey, are you at the training centre?"
Ushijima: "Hello, y/n. Yes, I am."
Y/n: "Great! Could you meet me at the vending machines?"
Ushijima: "Sure, see you in a bit."

After excusing himself, Ushijima made a right turn upon leaving the gymnasium to where the vending machines were. There he saw you leaning on one of the machines while scrolling through your phone. Ushijima greeted you a few steps before reaching you and you did the same while shoving your phone into your back pocket. He wondered if you were here to see Uncle Fuki but you shook your head in response. "These are for you. Thanks for helping me that night." You shyly handed the dainty carrier to him. "Oh... Thank you, y/n." Ushijima accepted your gratitude and gently took the carrier from your hands. He realized that it was the chocolaterie that his buddy, Tendou, owned making his eyes widen the slightest.

"You went to Tendou's?" "Yeah. Wait, you guys know each other?" What a coincidence. Both of you decided to sit on a bench nearby as Ushijima placed the box of chocolates on his lap, balancing it while carefully unboxing it to reveal the delicious treats. It was crazy how his movements were so delicate and gentle when he was off-court which was the total opposite, fierce and merciless. Your breath hitched as it was the moment of truth to find out if Ushijima likes them. "They are perfect and I know they taste good." He commented and you felt a wash of relief overcoming you. "Really? But you've yet to try yet." You blinked. "I know because Tendou made them." The thought of his high school buddy made Ushijima let out the world's softest smile with closed eyes. He must be so proud of Tendou to react this way.

This was probably the first time witnessing Ushijima smile though it wasn't an obvious one. He looked so sweet and soft making your stomach churn. Reaching into the box, Ushijima picked one chocolate and handed it to you. Thanking him with red cheeks, you popped the treat into your mouth and instantly bounced in your sit at how delicious the chocolate was with the right balance of sweetness and bitterness. "You know, your friend is awesome." You shared that Tendou was the one who picked the chocolates because you didn't know which to choose. His olive eyes gleamed at your words. This was probably the first time someone else other than him and his high school volleyball team got along with Tendou. Though it was your first meeting with Tendou, you had nothing but praises for him. 

"You're right. He's the best chocolatier ever!" 

"I told you so."

A/N: Congrats! You've reached the 'meeting the best friend' stage!