CH 28

"She's shameless as hell."
"It's been like what? Almost two decades since you last interacted with her?"

Eiko and Ayumi have been friends with you since middle school. They were your first friends who were aware about your family background and the issues that happened before you moved to Tokyo. Looking to the ceiling, you let out a soft sigh and nodded. Ayumi and Eiko shared concerned looks on their faces. They knew that you just having the thought of your mother sent chills your spine. "Does Ushijima know about this?" Ayumi wondered and you nodded in response. "He's been really supportive of me." You recalled that horrible period where he stayed up nights just to make sure you were doing alright. "That's great. I think it's rare to find men like him these days." Eiko exhaled at the depressing thought. You were definitely one of the lucky ones to have Ushijima has your significant other.

Ayumi wondered if anyone else knew that you were dating Ushijima. "I mean, he's the Ushijima Wakatoshi." You understood where she was coming from as you have seen how big the fanbase for the Japan Men's National Volleyball team. Honestly, you were quite surprised that you have yet to be caught by the paparazzi. You quickly shooed that thought away as you did not want to jinx yourself. Eiko tried to lighten the atmosphere and commented that your mother would not dare try anything with Ushijima as he looked intimidating. That made you click your tongue and reached out to slap Eiko's hand lightly. "He's far from what he looks like. In fact, he's adorable." Your eyes softened with a pout sporting your face. "Eh, I don't think 'adorable' is how you describe a 192cm (6'4 ft) beefy dude who spikes volleyballs for a living. Whatever floats your boat, gal." Ayumi chuckled when you narrowed your eyes at her.

"What do you call him?"
"Either 'Toshi' or 'Baby'."
"Baby?!"
"Oh, shut up!"

Ushijima stared at the glass containing chocolate coming in all forms. He even bent forward to take a better look with a frown on his stoic features. Giggles and whispers filled the air as the other customers were amused to see the pro-athlete troubling over dainty chocolate pieces. "Wakatoshi-kun, you look constipated." Tendou leaned over the counter. Ushijima looked up to his friend giving him a look making Tendou raise both his hands as if he surrendered. "I'm focusing." "Mm, I know. Just that pout on your face makes you look otherwise."

Ushijima pressed his lips together while wondering what you would like. He has bought chocolates from Tendou's before but this time was different. You were now his girlfriend. Tendou asked if he needed help but all Ushijima did was shake his head. He straightened himself to his full height which gained the attention of the other customers. It was not every day they would see someone of Ushijima's height and body physique. Eventually, he succumbed to Tendou's assistance. The red hair smirked and parted his lips to speak. "What does y/n-chan remind you of?" He asked. "Pretty flowers." Ushijima spoke whatever came to his mind. Humming, Tendou had an arrangement in mind and started picking out the chocolates. Ushijima was presented with a box of chocolates a few moments later, decorated with edible flowers, gold flakes and laces made of white chocolate. "Thank you, Tendou." Ushijima felt relieved and slotted his credit card back into his wallet (though Tendou insisted that it was on the house). "I'm always here for you, Wakatoshi-kun. Are you joining us for the alumni reunion?" Tendou rested his cheek on a hand. Oh, yes. The reunion.

"Toshi, you're home!" You greeted with open arms and skipped your way to him. "Hi, my love." Ushijima gave you a quick kiss on your temple. He placed his duffle bag aside headed to the bathroom for a shower though he has already done so back at the training centre. While you were waiting, you were busy on your laptop to finish up your part of the group project before calling it a day. You were productive today both mentally and emotionally from both assignments and breaking the news to Eiko and Ayumi regarding your mother. You were surprised that you did not break down crying though the fear was still there.