CH 23

It was the time of the year where people could scare others for a living and an excuse to dress however one desires without getting judged. Usually, people would decide and prepare their own themes and costumes to stand out from the crowd but it seemed like your friends had other thoughts. The group of you circled around a table at the school's cafe with hands reaching in to draw a slip of paper. This slip decided what you were going to be for Halloween happening a week from now. Eiko picked Annabelle while Ayumi had Wednesday Addams.

As the circle progressed, it was your turn and you did the same. Your fingers fumbled with the slip to see what you picked only to have your eyes bulging out your sockets. Noticing your reaction made your friends crowd around you to see that you had to dress up as a Kitsune, a fox spirit of Japanese mythology. "This must be a fraud. Lemme pick another one-" "Nuh-uh, no can do! It will be unfair for the rest of us." Eiko swiftly grabbed the plastic bucket and Ayumi sickered in a corner. Wonderful, just wonderful

Since it was a Friday night, the girls decided to drag you to shop for makeup and costumes. It does not have to look accurate to what you had pictured a kitsune to look like as you found yourself in boutiques selling casual wear like H&M and Zara. Eiko and Ayumi had an easier time finding the clothes to suit their characters while you struggled between different cuttings of tops and overalls. "You know, it doesn't have to be exactly the same." Ayumi lent you a helping hand a rummaged through the racks of off-shoulder tops to find inspiration. "Yeah, your costume can have a modern take! It doesn't need to be a red and white kimono." Eiko added on. Ayumi even went on Pinterest for ideas, typing in the search bar whatever comes to her mind until she collected the specific look in her head. She flipped her phone screen to you a few minutes later.

It was a Pinterest board for the possible outfits for the kitsune. Most of the pins consisted of red and white outfits and you too started to piece an outfit in your head. "Do you guys think a simple white dress and red sash would suffice?" You asked. "Yeah, that will work! Okay, you should stop telling us if any more ideas hit your head. Surprise us, y/n." "Yep! We can't wait for your take on the kitsune~" They sang excitedly yet there was a slightly teasing manner in it. Scoffing, you slapped their wiggly fingers before continuing your search with a fresh idea in your head. Hopefully, inspiration keeps on coming too.

31st October, Halloween. The special event in school was starting at 7pm and you have a few hours to get ready. You followed a kitsune makeup tutorial on YouTube and did your best to match it. From bright red coloured on your eyes, cheeks and lips to wearing green contacts to match the aesthetic of the kitsune. You may or may not have poked your eyes when drawing your eyeliner to make it look foxy. It was time to dress into the outfit you pieced which included a simple short white dress with thin straps and a red sash you DIY-ed a little that flowed gracefully behind with petals you stuck on. Furthermore, you even painted your nails white over stiletto extension. You curled your hair and reached for a metallic fox ear headband as the furry ones made you cringe. After accessorising more, it was time to head to campus for the Halloween event.

Ayumi kicked a pebble near her black strapped shoes wondering what was taking you so long. Eiko on the other hand was texting you for your location. "Hey." Your voice sounded behind them. The girls scanned you from head to toe and let out whistles and smiles of approval. "Damn, girl. You're like sexy and cute at once." Eiko twirled you making you click your tongue. "Your makeup's sick! Great job on that, you definitely surprised us." Ayumi giggled. "Let's just go..." You mumbled under your breath as the girls led the way.

Thankfully, the event had the absence of alcohol because heaven knows what would happened if that beverage was allowed in the premises. It was so sure going to be uncomfortable kind of disgusting seeing people tipsy and making stupid decisions like making out on public. Swirling the cup of fruit punch, you sat by the wooden table with your group of friends. The event was held on the rooftop of the main campus building. There was a stage for performances from various bands, food, beverage and game stalls with Halloween decorations like pumpkins and fairy lights with bats hanging from the trees or lamp posts.