CH 16

The first date went well. Ushijima was sweet to pick you from your apartment, you quickly jumping into the ride before Uncle Fuki or Aunt Yumi could notice. You had dinner at a nice restaurant and ice-cream after bought at the store you wanted to visit. The whole time, Ushijima had an arm around your shoulder as it was crowded during the weekends. The last thing he wanted was to lose you. The close proximity allowed you to whiff in the woody scent with a tinge of lavender of his cologne. This man really knows how to make you feel things without realizing.

With his stoic features, people may perceive Ushijima to uphold a cardboard personality. However, this was proven wrong. There were dimensions to his personality and for the most part, you thought he was a sweet and endearing gentleman. From keeping you close and holding the door, Ushijima had clear intentions to make sure to make a good impression and for you to feel safe around him. Having such actions made him more attractive in your eyes than he already was. Well, he may or not have asked Tendou for advice before the date.

Consent and permission was displayed even before the date. He always asked if it was alright for him to touch you and you appreciated the thought. Apart from this, the following may seem unbelievable but you found him adorable. He was shy from how obvious his cheeks and the tips of his ears flushed. He would look anywhere but you with the slightest pout of his lips. You also realized that Ushijima was touch-starved. There was nothing wrong with this as you were aware of his childhood. Growing up without affection must be tough. His hand would always brush yours, as if making sure you were still next to him. After what seemed like the sixth time of this hand brushing, you grabbed his hand. Ushijima pursed his lips into a line before you felt him intertwining his fingers with yours. In response, you looked up at him and smiled brightly, as a sign that you accepted his advances.

As the date came to an end, Ushijima pulled over as you unbuckled the seatbelt and straightened your clothes. You turned to him only to see his olive eyes gleaming in the darkness only the lamppost from outside illuminating the interior of the car. There was something in his eyes telling you that he did not want you to go and you melted. He was unintentionally giving you puppy eyes as a hand of yours reached for his hand. "We'll see each other soon, alright? Don't look so sad." You whispered in the dim setting. "I'm not sad." He glanced away with red cheeks. Chuckling, you hummed and cupped his cheek, feeling him nuzzling against your palm. "I'll be going now, hm? Thank you for the wonderful date, Wakatoshi." You beamed. "It's my pleasure. I enjoyed myself too." Ushijima let out a small smile, breaking his stoic features.

Taking in a deep breath, you leaned towards him and kissed him on the cheek. "D-Don't do that out of the blue." He flustered while covering his face within his palms. Giggling, you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled yourself to close the distance. "Why? It's not the first time, Wakatoshi." You poked the cheek that you kissed. "At least let me know beforehand..." "But that will cancel out of the element of you getting smitten like now." You laughed lightly. Ushijima peeked at you through the gaps of his fingers before pulling his hands away from his face. You locked eyes with him and parted your lips to speak. "You're not like what you seem to be, Wakatoshi." You whispered. "People tend to misunderstand or avoid me from my features and how tall I am." He sighed, feeling sad at the thought. Humming, you shook your head and stared into his olive orbs. "Not me. I like being with you. Plus, I don't get those people. Why would they want to avoid such a handsome being?" You genuinely wondered.

The blush on Ushijima's face got more prominent as he shrugged. At the same time, he was glad that you enjoyed being with him. "I think you're beautiful, y/n." He complimented. 'Beautiful'. What a strong word. The corners of your lips tugged along with a melted heart not missing how sincere he sounded. At a lost for words, all you could do was hug him and rested your head on the crook of his neck. "Can I hug you, y/n?" There he goes again. Consent. "Of course, Wakatoshi." You nodded and not long later, an arm of his wrapped around your waist.

Pulling away after a few moments, you knew it was time to leave. However, Ushijima's arm tightened around you. He didn't want you to go. "How about another date next Friday night?" You lightened the mood. His olive eyes brightened at the suggestion, excitement and joy gleaming. "I'll pick you up." Ushijima spoke as you nodded in response. "I got to go now." You glanced at your apartment before looking back at him, not wanting this wonderful day to end too. Pressing another kiss on his cheek, you also kissed his temple, leaving your lips there a while more to savour the moment and his scent for the last time. "Goodnight, Wakatoshi. Drive safe and text me when you're home." "I will. You text me too when you're inside." He hummed. Nodding, you bid goodbye and exited the car. As you took out the keys, you noticed Ushijima hasn't left. Not after you entered as you heard the roaring engine of his car before driving off.

What a day to remember.