Chapter 5

Lexie was busy preparing their house for a family dinner. Make and herself decided that they would get both of their families together, without all the kids, for one last meal before their wedding so they could all meet and there would be no awkward meetings on their big day.

"Right." Mark said as he clapped his hands and walked into the kitchen. "Mom and Amelia are on their way. Nancy is going to get Kathleen then they will be here. Derek has just phoned me to say he is running a bit from work but he will still be here. How's things on your end?" He said, pulling a carrot from the bowl and popping it into his mouth.

"Food is prepared and ready to go. Chicken is the oven." She said ticking off the list in her head. "Mom and dad are on their way. Molly is just getting Laura off to sleep and I haven't heard off Meredith so she will probably be late, like always." She said shrugging her shoulders.

"Mark." His moms voice rang out as their front door opened and then closed.

"Looks like the first of the guests are here." Mark said as he walked over and kissed the top of Lexies head. "Just relax, it's just the family. Just think, in 3 weeks we will be married."

"I know and I can't wait." Lexie said kissing him quick before smiling as the first of their guests walked in.

Nancy, Amelia and Kathleen were quick to take Lexie with them as they crowded in the living room to talk about their wedding as per usual.

"Mom, you're here as a guest, will you stop cooking." Mark laughed as he walked into the kitchen.

"Oh it's no bother. Lexie is happily chatting away in there with your sisters and I'm not going to disturb that." She said as she stirred the pot of gravy on the stove just as the doorbell rang. "Anyways, you should go and get that."

"Fine." Mark laughed as he turned and moved towards his front door. "Susan, Thatcher come in." He said as he guided them inside. "Let me take your coats."

"Thank you Mark." Susan said as she handed over her coat.

"Cheers son." Thatcher said tapping him on the back. "Is everyone here?"

"Not yet, still waiting on Derek and..."

"Meredith." Thatcher laughed. "That girl is never on time anywhere, never has been and I don't see it changing anytime soon."

"Don't Lexie here you say that, I just hope she isn't late for the wedding." Mark said as he walked them through into the kitchen.

"Oh she would never." Susan said shaking her head. "Hey Carolyn." Susan said as she walked over and hugged the other older woman.

"Hey Susan." Carolyn said before stepping back and turning to Thatcher. "Hello Thatcher." She said before hugging him quick.

"Look, we can't eat until Meredith and Derek are here so let's go and join everyone else in the living and have a few drinks whilst we wait." Mark said clapping his hands together before they all went to join in with the wedding talk.

                                    ***********
Meredith was late. Again.

Usually it was because she was in surgery but this time it was simply down to the fact that she had been asleep. So here she was running late with a bottle of wine as peace offer in the hopes it would stop Lexie from moaning at her again.

As she walked up to the door she frowned at the figure that was lurking on the front steps. When she got closer, she realised the person was on the phone and she immediately recognised that voice.

"Yeah, ok. Just place the case on my desk and I will take a look at it in the morning. Perfect thank you Megan. See you tomorrow." He said as he slipped his phone into his pocket.