Chapter 16

They were hiking. Derek had somehow convinced Meredith that it was a good idea so now here they were. But it was anything but a good idea as Meredith trailed behind Derek, watching her step as she didn't want to trip and fall.

"Derek, this was such a bad idea." Meredith shouted as she lost her footing once again and almost fell to the ground.

"Oh come on Mer, it will be so worth it once we get up there." Derek stopped as he turned and held out his hand for her.

"Where are we even going?" Meredith asked as she slipped her hand into his and fell into step with him.

"You just need to wait and see." Derek said as he squeezed her hand and continued to walk ahead.

"This is the first day off I've had in god knows when and I'm spending it hiking when I want to be in bed, with you." Meredith moved to stand in front of Derek, stopping him in his tracks as she let her free hand trail down his front before coming to rest on his crotch.

"Mer..." Derek groaned as she cupped him through his trousers.

"Come on let's just go home." Meredith whispered as she moved to nibble on his ear lobe. "You know you want to."

"Mer, stop." He reached down and grabbed her hand and moved it away from him. "Later." He leaned down to kiss her.

"Fine." Meredith rolled her eyes before walking off ahead of him.

He hated this, he wanted nothing more than to go home and have his way with her. But he had to tell her. He had to tell her he loved her and he didn't want anything to distract him from that.

"Did you hear that Lexie found out that they're having a boy?" Meredith asked Derek.

"Yeah, Mark told me, said something about naming him Mark Junior but obviously Lexie is against this idea." Derek laughed as he wrapped his arm around Meredith's shoulder.

"Oh yeah that's not happening. I can't believe there is going to be another Mark running around." Meredith said as her arm wrapped around Derek's lower back and slipped her hand into his back pocket.

"I know, scary really. It will be a cute kid though." Derek admitted as they got closer to their destination.

"Yeah but not as cute as ours will be." Meredith admitted but didn't think anything of it until she felt Derek stop and stare at her. "Oh, wait forget what I just said. Yeah forget about it." Meredith stumbled with her words before walking away flustered.

"Meredith wait." Derek ran and caught up with her and immediately pressed his lips to hers in a passionate embrace. "I love you." Derek gasped as they pulled apart breathless.

"What?"

"I love you Meredith Grey." He said once again, finally feeling good at getting that out in the open.

"I love you too." Meredith all but whispered as she looked up to him with happy tears pooling in her eyes.

They leaned in and pressed their lips together but this time it felt different. It was slow and soft, like they were confirming their love for one another with this kiss.

"Are you sure we can't just head home now?" Meredith said as she ran her hands up and down his side.

"We will shortly but I want to show you something first." He took her hand in his and gave it a quick squeeze before they continued walking.

"Where even are we?" Meredith asked as she trailed behind Derek.

"We are..." as they finally stopped and looked down out at the beautiful view that was in front of them. "On my land. And that over there is my trailer." He said pointing over at the silver trailer in front of them.

Derek watched as Meredith released his hand and wondered around and took it all in.

"This is...amazing." Meredith said in awe.

"Isn't it just." Derek moved to stand behind her and wrapped his arms around her and placed his chin on her shoulder.

"So all of this is yours?" Meredith asked as she felt Derek nod his head. "What are you going to do with it?" She said turning her head towards him.

"I have no idea." Derek admitted. "But for now, it's where I come to escape when things get too much. I can come here, fish and just be alone, clear my mind but I thought that maybe it's where we could come to get some alone time." He said as Meredith turned in his arms.

"You're going to share your land with me?" Meredith asked as her eyes sparkled up at him as he nodded his head before kissing her quick. "Are we staying here tonight?"

"If you want to then yeah." Derek was in absolute awe at the woman in front of him, she was everything he had ever wanted.

"I don't have any clothes though."

"Oh don't worry about clothes, you won't be needing them." Derek suggested as he raised his eyebrows at her.

"Oh, won't I?" Meredith asked as she stepped in closer to Derek and pressed her chest into his.

"Not at all. Come on let's go and get in the warm." He said as he turned and allowed Meredith to hop up on to his back as he walked towards the trailer.

"Don't drop me or fall." She said as she clung to him tightly as he stumbled slightly. "Derek!" She squealed before laughing.

"Sorry." He laughed as he continued the short walk over to the trailer. "Be careful when you get down." Derek said as he allowed Meredith to slide down her back and her feet hit the ground.

"It's nothing special..." Derek pulled open the door and allowed Meredith to step in first.

"No, I love it." Meredith said as she removed her coat. "It's cosy." She turned to smile at him.

"Good." Derek smiled back at her, the love for her clearly showing in his eyes as they slowly started to darken. "Do you want to eat?"

"Yes, but first I need to shower." Meredith said as she removed her jumper next.

"I'll grab you a towel and one of my tops to wear for when you get out and I'll start whipping up some food." He said kissing her quick before she stepped into the small shower.

It seemed right for them to be together like this. The comfort that radiated around them as they moved around one another and did there own thing, it was home. Derek knew that he was going to marry Meredith, she was it for him and he promised himself that he would never let her go ever again.