Chapter 46

Derek was finally back to work and doing what he knew best. Whilst he wasn't given any tough cases, he was grateful that he was being kept busy to distract him from the fact that he would be going home to an empty apartment.

It had been a long and painful 4 weeks since Noah's party and the only times he was getting to see Meredith was at her appointments. But it wasn't enough for him but he knew he couldn't push otherwise he would lose her. A soft knock, pulled him out of his dark thoughts as he looked up at the door.

"Come in." He quickly gathered his notes and piled them in as he looked up and found Meredith walking in. "Hey Mer, I wasn't expecting you."

"Yeah, I was just passing and I thought I'd come and ask you instead of texting you." She smiled as she walked in, one hand on her stomach with the other on her back.

He smiled as watched Meredith walk in, everyday he fell more in love with her as she continued to grow their daughter. She was 31 weeks now, meaning in a short 9 weeks, they would have their daughter in their arms.

"Yeah, take a seat." He pointed at the chair in front of him, as he watched her slowly lower herself into her chair and sigh in relief. "What is it?"

"The furniture for the nursery arrived and I was wondering if you was free at any point to come and put it together." She smiled as she continued to rub her stomach.

"Oh yeah, I mean, I finish in 10 minutes so I can meet you there and I can start doing it today." He said as he placed some things in his bag before smiling at Meredith.

"Oh perfect, thanks." She moved in attempt to get up but struggled and feel back down in to her chair.

"Here, let me help." He laughed slightly as he pushed himself out of his chair and held his hands out for her to grab as he pulled her up onto her feet.

"Thanks, even the smallest things are becoming impossible at the minute." She laughed as she stretched out her back.

"Look head home and get yourself a bath, I'll come over and get started on the nursery. I don't want you lifting a finger or stressing about it." He said as he walked over and opened the door for her.

Meredith opened her mouth to speak but stopped when they both came face to face with Abi.

"Seriously?" Meredith shouted as she turned to Derek and started shoving his chest.

"Meredith, please he didn't know I was coming." Abi said as she watched Meredith turn and glare at her. "Please, I feel like I should explain, Meg phoned me and told me that I had messed everything up. I wanted to apologise..."

"Abi, you shouldn't be here." Derek spoke up but stopped when Meredith held her hand up.

"I want to hear what she has got to say." Meredith silenced Derek as she turned back to Abi. "Can we sit? As you can tell I'm very pregnant and standing for too long hurts." Meredith pointed over to the seats and collapsed down.

Abi slowly made her way over and sat opposite Meredith, her eyes on the floor. Derek stayed behind and stood watching the two of them just in case.

"I kissed Derek." Abi finally spoke. "Just before you walked in, I kissed him and he pushed me away straight away, you just happened to walk in at the wrong time. I really did think he liked me..." Abi admitted as she looked up to Meredith. "I'm sorry."

"Well, you're sorry, I guess that just solves everything now." Meredith groaned as she shifted in her chair. "Why did you do it?"

"I thought he liked me, I flirted with him and he flirted back..." Abi said.