Chapter 50

The days flew by as Meredith finally adjusted to being a new mother, even if she was doing it within the walls of the hospital. She knew it was going to be difficult adjusting having Annie here but having to do it whilst she was having physio for her leg and constantly worrying about Derek, it was exhausting.

She woke up everyday not knowing if Derek would make it. Everyday she prayed for a miracle that he would finally open his eyes so they could finally be a family.

"Shh, mommy is here Annie." Meredith sighed softly as she bounced a crying Annie in her arms. "I don't know what you want, I'm trying. I'm really trying but I don't know..."

She hated that didn't know what she was doing as she listened to Annie continuously cry no matter what Meredith did.

"I know your probably miss your daddy, I know I do." Meredith said as she wiped away her own tears. "But he loves you so much, he can't wait to meet you..." at hearing Meredith's soft voice, Annie finally started to settle as she curled up tight in Meredith's arms.

"Mer..." Carolyn stepped into the with a sparkle in her eyes. "He's awake."

"What?" Meredith gasped in surprise, almost certain she hadn't heard her correctly.

"Derek...he's awake." She smiled as tears filled her eyes. "He's awake and asking for you."

"He's...he's awake." Meredith mumbled and if it wasn't for the fact that she was currently holding Annie in her arms then she would completely crumble.

"Yes." Carolyn nodded with tears in her eyes. "The nurse is going to bring you a wheelchair and take you to see him."

As Carolyn said that a nurse entered the room pushing a chair in front of her. Carolyn took Annie into her arms and watched as the nurses helped lower Meredith into the chair slowly before they eventually set off for Derek's room.

"He may be a bit groggy so don't be offend if he snaps at you." The nurse said as she pushed them in front of his door and stopped. "Are you ready?"

Meredith nodded her head slowly, as she ran her fingers through her hair to smooth it down. She took Annie back into his arms before Carolyn stepped behind the wheelchair and eventually pushed them into the room.

"Derek, I've brought you some visitors." Carolyn said.

Derek slowly turned his head and gave his best attempt at smile, it hurt to move and even to smile but right now he was just glad that both of his girls were alive and well.

"Hey." He said with a croaky voice as he watched his mom push Meredith closer with their bundle of joy wrapped in a pink blanket.

"Hey." Meredith smiled with tears in her eyes and her voice barely a whisper as she reached her hand out and placed it on Derek's arm. "You're alive."

"I'm alive." He took his good hand and placed it Meredith's, squeezing it tight, never wanting to let go as he thought he would never get the chance to see or hold her ever again. "Oh Mer, she's gorgeous."

Annie cooed slightly as Meredith pulled down the blanket even further to show Derek their daughter. Her blonde hair sticking up on her head as she smacked her rosy lips together but continued to sleep.

"She's looks just like you Mer. She's perfect." Derek finally let go of Meredith's hand and moved to stroke his finger over Annie's cheek, the emotions becoming too much for him as the tears streamed down her face and sobs racked his body.

Meredith couldn't bare it anymore, so she pushed herself up and stood up next to Derek's bed, pain radiating through her leg but she ignored it as she leaned down to place Annie on the bed next to Derek's head.

"It's ok, we are all here." She moved down to press his lips to his forehead as she wrapped her arms around the two of them.

Annie turned her head and her lips were pressed to Derek's cheek as she began to gently smack her lips together. She then started to stir as she began to fidget and her face started to scrunch up.

"Shh, it's ok. Daddy is here." Derek soothed her as his free hand reached up and cupped her. Immediately Annie settled at hearing Derek's voice, comforted by his soothing voice, it was almost like she recognised it.

Carolyn couldn't help but stand back and watch the moment between the family. She couldn't believe they had almost lost it all but here they were. It was beautiful. Seeing Derek as a father was just incredible and she never thought she would get the chance to see him as one but thanks to Meredith, she had saved him.

It wasn't how they planned on starting out on their new adventure as a family but at least they still had the opportunity to do so.

If it taught them one thing, it was that nothing was guaranteed in life and they would never ever take advantage of anything ever again.

*a/n*
just a small chapter for now because it's been foreverrrr since I updated and I apologise for that!! Will try and update more often <3