Chapter 22

Derek and Meredith were thrown back into work the minute they arrive home, barely having any time for just the two of them. They had slowly started to move Meredith's stuff into Derek's house which meant they were at least able to come home to one another. But today, Derek had somehow managed to get the day off so was currently on his way to see his mom.

Pulling up to the house, he climbed out and walked towards the front door and pushed it open.

"Ma! Are you here?" Derek shouted as he shrugged his coat off and hung it up on the coat rack before walking into the living room.

"Derek, there you are." Carolyn walked out of the kitchen, drying her hands on a tea towel as she moved to wrap her arms around him. "You look good, you've caught a tan!"

"I feel good, plus the weather was gorgeous. Mer is more tanned than me though." Derek laughed as he followed Carolyn into the kitchen.

"How is Meredith?" Carolyn asked as she pulled the food out of the oven.

"She's good, I mean she's basically been working non stop since we've been back but she's good. Shes actually moving in with me..." Derek said softly.

"What?" Carolyn turned to face him with a wide smile on her face. "That's fantastic Derek. When she's free you'll have to come round for dinner."

"We will, I will speak to Mer later tonight when she's home." Derek smiled before reaching to grab a grape and popped it into his mouth.

"Good, anyw..." Carolyn was cut off by his phone ringing.

"Sorry ma, it's Meredith." He frowned. "I'm just going to go outside to answer this."

"Go ahead." Carolyn smiled as she watched Derek head outside.

"Hey Mer, are you alright?"

"No, I'm freaking out like really freaking out right now." Meredith rambled down the phone causing Derek to frown and the concern for Meredith to grow.

"Woah, slow down. Just breathe, just concentrate on that for now." He said as he finally heard Meredith's breathing even out.

"I'm sorry, I know you are seeing your mom...but...I needed to hear your voice. I just don't know what to do..."

Derek could hear Meredith's voice wobble as e started to cry softly.

"Do you want me to come to the hospital?" Derek grabbed his keys and prepared to leave and head to the hospital.

"No...just...I've cancelled my surgeries for the rest of the day and I'm going to head home, can you just meet me there please?" Meredith begged him down the phone.

"Yeah, of course. I will head there now, just drive safe alright. I love you."

"I love you too."

Then the phone call was over just like that and Derek headed back inside, his hand running through his hair and a somber look on his face.

"Derek, what's going on?" Carolyn asked with concern in her voice as she moved to place a hand on his shoulder.

"I don't know. Mer...there's something wrong with Meredith, I need to go." Derek said nodding his head as he finally looked up to face Carolyn, tears pooling in his eyes.

"Go. You know where I am if you need me son, either of you. Now go, don't keep Meredith waiting." Carolyn squeezed his shoulder before Derek all but ran out of the house and straight to his car.

It didn't take him long to get home as he swung his car into the drive to find Meredith's already there. He jumped out of his car and immediately headed inside.

"Meredith!" He shouted as he burst through the door and found her sitting curled up on the sofa. "Hey Mer." He said softly as he moved to sit next to her.

"This wasn't meant to be happening yet, I mean...what are we going to do?" Meredith asked her voice barely a whisper.

"Do what? Meredith, please tell me what's wrong?" Derek tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled softly at her as she finally turned to face him, tears in her eyes.

"I'm pregnant." Meredith watched as Derek's eyes went wide and his mouth opened to say something but quickly shut, leaving it silent between the two of them. "Yeah, exactly."

"Meredith, what do you want to do?" Derek asked.

"What?"

"Do you want this baby?" He watched as she shrugged her shoulders and bit her lower lip.

"I don't know Derek, this is all too fast. I mean, we spoke about having children but not for years, now it's kind of just been dropped on us and I don't know what to do..." Meredith collapsed into his arms and sobbed into his shoulder.

"Shh, I've got you." He ran his hand over her head and down her back lovingly, letting her hold on to him tight. "Whatever you decide to do Meredith I will be by your side. If you decide you don't want this baby then I will come with you to your appointments, whatever you need me for, I will be there."

"But this is your baby as well Derek." Meredith sat up and wiped the tears away, her eyes meeting his.

"But it's your body. You're the one that would have to carry this baby and give birth to it. You're the one who's life would change and..." he took a deep breath in. "If you don't want this baby then I understand."

Meredith didn't say anything as she crawled into Derek's lap and wrapped her arms around his neck and let him squeeze her tight.

"Thank you." Meredith whispered softly as she turned to press her lips against his neck. "I love you."

"I love you too, so much Mer." Derek squeezed Meredith and ran his hand up and down her back.

As much as Derek wanted this baby with Meredith, he wasn't about to force her into it. Their time would come where they would finally be ready to be parents and if now wasn't the time then he was alright with that. Meredith was the most important thing in his life and whatever she decided, he would be there.