𝘅𝗹𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶. 𝘀𝘄𝗲𝗲𝘁 𝘀𝗶𝘅𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

Circa February 1996:

Besides the wizarding world dealing with the Death eaters breaking out of Azkaban and the ministry blaming it all on Sirius Black, most Slytherins were trying to act normal.

Usually, they embraced the glaring and scowling they received from their peers, but as the months drawled on, it seemed harder and more difficult to bear.

It would seem that the houses had been clinging to each other, which impacted everyone and disheartened most 1st-year Slytherins. They were mainly targeted with hexes and curses, leaving the older years to defend them, despite needing to study for their O.W.L.S.

Slytherin house were usually ostracised, however, this just felt different, more personal and less logical. Maybe it was due to the death eaters escaping or the hysteria surrounding Voldemort's return, but all they knew was everything had changed and would only get worse.

***

Sunday, February 15th:

SERAMORE MANOR:

Birthdays are a constant reminder of ageing and changing and a 16th birthday is perhaps one of the most renowned ones, which is why Celeste was throwing her daughter a huge party tonight. It had been planned for months, despite the mother-daughter duo's relationship being on the rocks, Celeste believed this was the first step in the right direction for them both.

The guest list was long, ranging from pureblood families and most Slytherin students.

Artemis wanted the divine group to come as well as Luna, but she knew it wouldn't be safe, due to them being half-bloods in a pureblood environment.

Professor Snape managed to attend, although he seemed against coming, he promised he wouldn't miss it. He was a highly respected professor and wizard, therefore his blood status wasn't on trial.

The Mikaelsons wouldn't miss the event, even Marcel had to come and see the girl he had viewed as a little sister.

They all hoped that the day would go swimmingly.

That was the very least life could offer them.

***

SERAMORE BALLROOM:

Artemis plastered on a smile as she fixed her braided ponytail and straightened out her strappy black dress that sat a few inches higher than her matching block heel boots.

She would've usually chosen an emerald-coloured dress, but for once, she wanted to go for something darker.

Magic has already seduced her in ways her mind couldn't resist, so she rather let herself be engulfed by its allure than have the lightness from her soul stripped away completely. Artemis was changing as was everything around her. For better or worse? She honestly didn't know. She had been more open and confident with expressing her true feelings, although she knew something was pulling her back.

She just needed to get it all out of her system, if she knew what it was.

So Artemis rolled her shoulders back and pushed open the illustrious double doors and entered the packed ballroom.

She was immediately surrounded by friends and family as well as a few frenemies.

The room was decorated elegantly and the dress code seemed to match.

The lights were bright and lively, and the windows were full on display, letting the bronze skyline parade throughout the room, touching some guests and glistening the tables. The music was delightful, energetic jazz bounced off the walls and caused the chandeliers to gently shake.