14. Don't tell anyone

On the morning of December 23rd, Harry arrived early at the office, and after dropping off his things at his desk, he went to Louis' office.

The light was off, and it was clear that Louis hadn't arrived yet, so he just put the birthday present and the card he had gotten on the desk, and left quickly. Louis' birthday was on the 24th, but it fell on a Saturday so they were obviously not working so he wouldn't get to give him a present on the day. Even today that was the 23rd, they were only working half day.

He went to get a coffee after, and then kept an eye out for Louis to arrive. He was hoping that Louis would see the gesture as an olive branch for them to resume their friendship, but he wasn't that hopeful that it could work. Part of him expected to see both the present and the card on the garbage bin at the end of the day.

Then he saw him arrive, and as it had been the norm, he didn't look into Harry's direction when he arrived and walked to his office, which was something he always used to do when they were friends.

From his desk he couldn't see inside of Louis' office, so he had no idea what his reaction was when he saw the present and the card on the desk, or when he realized who the present was from.

He got his answer about 2 hours later when he received a new text on his phone.

From Louis: Hey, can you come to my office, please?

That was the first text he received from Louis since October, so Harry was shocked. But without replying, he just quickly got up and headed to Louis' office.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Harry asked.

"Yeah" Louis replied, and look him in the eyes.

Had his eyes turned even prettier than they had been before? Or did he find them prettier because he hadn't gotten to see them in so long?

"Close the door please?" Louis asked.

Harry did, but he felt he was having a dejavú of their last conversation. But he was hoping this conversation to go in the opposite direction than the first one.

"What's up?" Harry asked hesitantly.

"I just wanted to say thank you for the present and the card" Louis told him, and he didn't seem angry or anything, specially because then he smiled "And for remembering my birthday".

"I would never forget your birthday, Lou" Harry said and gave him a little smile back "Which I know is tomorrow by the way".

"Yeah, you said that on the card" Louis chuckled  "So uhm... do you think we could go back to being friends?".

"I've never stopped wanting to be your friend" Harry said truthfully "And I've missed you a lot".

"I've missed you too" Louis said back.

Then Louis walked from behind his desk and opened his arms, so Harry did the same and hugged him.

"I've missed these hugs" Louis said as he held on tight.

"Me too" Harry said as he took in the fact that he was hugging Louis, he loved him so much, his heart literally tightened as he hugged him, and he could have cried at the fact that he had him in his arms again.

Louis let go, and Harry noticed he quickly wiped the rim of his eyes with his fingers.

"Are you okay?" asked Harry.

"Yeah" Louis confirmed.

"I'm sorry for what I did" Harry assured him.

"I know" Louis nodded "I read all your texts, even if I didn't reply".