17. I want to make it work

Harry's birthday fell on a Wednesday that year, and his parents threw him a little family dinner celebration on that day, which made his heart very happy.

Then on Saturday, he decided to invite some of his friends over to the flat for some drinks and food. It wasn't anything too crazy, as he though 29 wasn't the age to be throwing a big party, he was going to leave that for his 30th.

Most of the friends he invited showed up, even Harry's sister, who had asked their mum to babysit the kids for a few hours. But at 10 PM there was one person missing, the one that mattered the most.

Harry checked his phone and saw he had a text from that very important person.

From Louis: Hey.

To Louis: Hey where are you? You're the only one that's not here.

From Louis: I'm so sorry but I won't be able to make it.

Harry frowned, because just the day before at work, Louis had told him he was excited about going to Harry's birthday.

What changed?

To Louis: Why not? Is everything okay?

From Louis: I'm not feeling great, I've been nauseous all day so I'd rather stay home, but I'll take you out to dinner next week to make it up to you.

To Louis: Don't worry about it, I hope you feel better soon.

From Harry: Thank you, and I'm sorry again.

That definitely ruined Harry's mood, specially because he suspected Louis had just lied to him. Because the truth was that Louis never felt unwell because of the pregnancy, he even talked about it often, how great he felt all the time.

And yes, this could be an exception, but Harry doubted it, and he was pretty sure Chris had something to do with his absence.

Harry tried to keep that out of his mind for the rest of the party, but it was very hard, as Louis was in his head all the time. Lately he had been in his mind more than ever, he was constantly concerned about Louis, and the baby too, and no matter how hard he tried not to think about them, it was impossible.

"Should I get the cake ready to sing happy birthday?" Gemma asked coming up to him "Or should we wait for Louis?".

"He's not coming so you can get the cake ready if you want" Harry replied.

"Why isn't he coming?" asked Gemma.

"He said he's not feeling well, apparently he's been nauseous all day" Harry explained.

"That happens sometimes when you're pregnant" Gemma considered.

Harry had told her a while ago about Louis' pregnancy, so she knew what was going on.

"Yeah... I guess" Harry shrugged.

"Harry..." Gemma started.

"What?".

"You need to move on from him" Gemma said seriously "He's having a baby with someone else".

"I know" Harry nodded "But that doesn't mean he's going to be with him forever".

"You can't put your life on hold waiting for them to break up... if it ever happens" Gemma reasons.

"I'm not doing that" Harry denied.

"If you say so".

Gemma then went to get the cake, and his friends sang happy birthday to him, but all the time Harry could only think about the fact that Louis wasn't there.