- 20 -

Tedros caught my hand quickly as the chains broke and he pulled me towards him and unwrapped the chains from my arm and leg. He rested my head in his lap and I leaned back in exhaustion. My entire body went limp except for my head.

I watched tedros’ facial expressions change as he examined the huge blistering burns on my arms that were clearly in the pattern of large chains wrapped around my limbs.

“How long were you holding it off?” he asked as he rested his hand on my cheek and brushed the sweat soaked hair off my face as he pressed a short kiss to my lips.

“Too long.” I replied breathlessly.

“Im so proud of you.” he said as he continued to stroke my cheek gently.

“It hurts tedros, it really hurts.” I whispered as I closed my eyes tightly.

“I'm going to try something but i might have to touch the burns.” he said and i nodded giving him the ‘okay’ to proceed with his plan.

Tedros used his finger glow and ran it all the way across the chain marks not missing a single spot as the blistering wounds healed into large deeply discolored patterns on my skin. It was almost like a tattoo and it was no longer in pain.

Tedros was doing this for at least an hour before he even reached my legs but at this point I had regained enough strength to sit up and help him with the healing.

“So do you think the heart of the volcano is in the maze?” Tedros asked as we were healing my legs.

“I don't know. Did you ever hear about this place in fairy tale studies?'' I asked as we got closer to finishing.

“I read somewhere that no one ever survived the chains of death so there was never a tale about it.” Tedros answered.

“Then let us be the first!” I announced as I pretended to raise a glass.

“A toast to your luck!” tedros said as he also raised an invisible glass and we pretended to chink them together and take a drink.

After a few more minutes we finished healing my wounds and I was able to stand again. I pulled out my bow and we walked away from the creepy doorway I had barely escaped. Tedros was walking behind me to make sure the chains wouldn't get me again.

We heard a growling noise coming from beneath us and I turned to see if Tedros had heard it as well. We stopped moving to listen in as the growling increased in volume. The ground began to shake. I was contemplating whether we should be running but just as I grabbed tedros’ hand to do just that, a trap door beneath him opened and he fell.

He gripped my hand tighter as I fell to the ground, still holding him up as he was hanging over a dark hole in the ground. He managed to get his other hand over the edge of the trapdoor and he let go of mine now that he could hold himself up. He was struggling to climb through the small hole and I was helping him climb out when he let out a cry of pain and staggered.

I let go of his armor which I was using to pull him up and drew an arrow with my bow. I shot it at two red eyes that had revealed themselves and there was a defining scream from the monster as the red eyes disappeared. I dropped my bow behind me and began pulling tedros out of the hole again. He had severely weakened as he was gripping the edge for dear life.

I pulled him out quickly and saw that a large chunk of his armor was gone from his leg and there was blood dripping from the bite marks.

“Is that your blood?” I asked urgently as I ripped the remaining pieces of armor off his leg.

“Probably.” he said through gritted teeth as he tried to sit up.

“Lay back down, it's going to hurt. There are teeth in your leg.” I said as I shoved him down without looking in his direction.