- 23 -

Tedros and I arrived on the beach without our weapons. I had also taken off all my armor so I was only in the black bodysuit now. As I stepped into the water the bodysuit went from black to an iridescent purple that was covered in scales. Tedros watched as my outfit changed to better disguise myself. My hair fell in front of my eyes and I realized it had also adapted to the mission at hand. The hue of my skin had changed and I must have appeared completely unrecognizable because tedros was giving me a confused stare.

“Is it really that different?” I asked as I continued to walk into the ocean. Luckily my legs had remained separate for the time being.

“You look very different.” he said as he gave me a reassuring thumbs up and followed me. His outfit didn't change but I'm sure there was a reason it didn't. Plus I don't think any of the mermaids had anything against him so I would just need him to be my distraction again.

“It's temporary.” I said mostly to myself as I dove into the water. I could feel the legs of the suit fuse together but my own legs were still legs. I couldn't breathe underwater but for now i used my powers to supply tedros and i with fresh oxygen as we swam deep into the ocean.

It took a few moments before either of us got used to having our eyes open in the water and it took me even longer to get used to having my legs stuck together. I was moving much faster than tedros with the large flipper at my feet so I took his hand and pulled him along. It was getting more difficult to breathe as the water pressure increased and I resorted to giving tedros all the air and just holding my breath. I would give myself puffs of air on occasion but I was no longer holding an air pocket around my mouth like I was for tedros.

The moon light was illuminating the brightly colored corals along the reef as we passed over the edge and a small underwater kingdom was revealed. This must have been where Ariel was from but I could never imagine the mermaids actually being this grotesque looking. There's beauty in everything though and I could tell that by the gorgeous architecture of the coral palace we were descending to.

Tedros floated back to the top as I continued to descend to the palace where I saw thousands of mermaids that looked just like the way I had transformed. The list of ingredients didn't specify if I needed to get a specific mermaids hair so I pulled out a knife and began searching for a worthy candidate.

A few minutes later I had found a mermaid woman who had very long hair that was flowing gracefully behind her taking up quite a bit of space. I was sure she wouldn't feel it if I chopped off a lock of her hair.

I grabbed a strand of her hair and tugged at it slightly to find a good spot to chop it when the whole strand came off her head. I made a confused face as the hair extension rested in my hand. I had no idea mermaids wore hair extensions but I guess they weren't exactly far from real humans when it came to cosmetic adjustments.

I looked up just in time to get a fast punch straight to the nose. Blood began seeping through my nose and into the water around me as I tried to fight back. I wasn't nearly as fast as the mermaid woman was so I made a very lousy attempt at fighting back before me and the mermaid were dragged by what looked like a few guards into an air filled room.

My tail went back to legs as did the other mermaids in the room and I quickly shoved the hair extension in my own turquoise hair to hide it.

“She pulled my hair out! Those were real mermaid hair extensions, you hair stealing outcast!” she screamed at me.

“Since when was I an outcast?” I asked calmly and curiously.

“Since you aren't wearing the customary color of this tribe. Only outcasts wear purple.” she continued to scream at me dramatically.