Baby

Many uneventful years went by fast. I spent my time training with Naruto and deepening his relationship with Hinata. We pulled many pranks over the years but slowly he matured until pranks were no more and he became a responsible adult worthy of being the next Hokage.

Naruto's and Hinata's marriage was a sight to behold and I cried like a baby at the ceremony. I wasn't the only one though.

The next thing I knew, I was watching a small bundle of joy in Hinata's embrace.

Hinata: "Aoi, meet Boruto, our son"

I couldn't help but wag my tail as I watched the cute, tiny baby. This is the point at which I know nothing of the future, so seeing their child brings out the weeb in me.

Aoi: "Boruto, Naruto...do you think he'll look like him?"

Hinata: "I think he already looks just like him"

Aoi: "Wahh"

We were whispering, as Naruto was sleeping in a chair nearby, exhausted from the birth. He was panicking a lot when Hinata went into labour and it was hilarious that it exhausted him way more than our baby momma.

I went over to Naruto and put my head on his lap, gently waking him up. He stroke my fur and slowly woke up.

Aoi: "Good job, he's very cute"

Naruto: "Haha, thanks Aoi"

He sheepishly smiled, slightly nervous and still exhausted. I could tell he was worried about being a dad, but his joy from it was more powerful. I'll always be on his side and believe in him. We went through so much together.

Aoi: "You're going to be a great dad, I'm sure of it"

Naruto: "I hope so, he's going to have the childhood I never could..."

Sadness was shown in his eyes for a second, but quickly vanished as he got up and went to cuddle with Hinata and his newborn son. It pained my heart that he ever had to go through that and wished I could have been there for him much earlier. Perhaps if I was born into this world a few years before...I could have...no...probably not...

No one knows if and how things could have gone differently, however, the outcome we have achieved is worth more than anything. Many people got to live thanks to my actions and the risks I took and I'm glad it's this way.

Deidara, Kakuzu, Kisame, Itachi, Haku, Zabuza and many more...

They are all living well now. 

Especially Itachi.

He's going to be an uncle soon and already is a dad. He fell in love with a lovely young lady from the village who secretly admired him for a long time after he had come back to the village. She runs a dango shop that he would frequent and she eventually mustered the courage to ask him out. It was hilarious to see how shy he was with her around. Sasuke couldn't believe his eyes when he and I secretly tailed Itachi. It's heartwarming to see how happy he is now.

He deserves it.

Sasuke and Sakura somehow ended up together, which surprised me very much. I wonder if Naruto ever continued after I departed from Earth. They are now expecting their first child as well and Sakura is due any day now.

I honestly have nothing left to do here anymore. Making me sometimes wonder if I should just disappear from their lives. I'm not needed for their happiness anymore. But I still want to stay.

Naruto: "Aoi, stop moping and come here"

Hah, he knows. He always knows. From the twenty years we've spent together, he has come to know me so well, he knows how much I struggle with accepting my place with them.

I walked over to them and cuddled into Naruto's side as he held Boruto in his arms, giving Hinata her well-deserved rest. She fell asleep smiling at the scene of us making the baby laugh. The tranquil peace was contagious and after caring for Boruto for a few hours, both the dad and son fell asleep. I let them rest in peace and left the house for a bit, finally being able to relax my body and undo my size transformation. I walked through the village where everyone was fast asleep.

Kakashi: "Congratulations on being an uncle"

Kakashi was once again at the KIA stone, his gaze never lifting from his friends' names. I walked over to him and sat down.

Aoi: "I'm more like a pet than an uncle to be fair"

Kakashi: "Would take a lot of guts to call a tailed beast a pet don't you think?"

Aoi: "Not if the tailed beast in question says it"

Kakashi laughed, agreeing with me. It quickly became quiet again and my eyes landed on Obito's name. If I wasn't trapped in the statue, perhaps I could have saved him as well.

Aoi: "I'm sorry"

Kakashi: "If I think I know what you're sorry for, then don't be, you can't save everybody and although it sounds nice, Obito's future could not have been as we would have wanted it, that's just a naive dream"

I sat in silence. He was right and I am glad Obito can rest now. He's with Rin and watching over Kakashi.

Aoi: "He must be jealous that you became a Hokage"

Kakashi: "God, I hope not, it's so much paperwork, I can't wait till I retire"

Aoi: "That makes you sound way too old"

Kakashi: "I am old, too old to manage the village, that's a job for the younger generation, who have fresh minds"

Aoi: "Like Naruto?"

Kakashi: "Naruto is going to be a great Hokage, I firmly believe that, though I will not envy him that paperwork"

Aoi: "Hahah, anyway, technically you're Boruto's uncle"

Kakashi: "Boruto huh, nice name"

Aoi: "Yeah"

We silently stood at the KIA stone for a bit longer until Kakashi decided it would be reasonable to go to sleep, as it was late and he had to fulfil his duties in the morning. I went home to my cave and slept as well. 

The next day I happily hopped on my way to Naruto's house. When I arrived, I saw two ghosts floating in the living room. It scared me and I quickly shut the door. I stood outside in fear, wondering if ghosts were real and why did they appear there. Then the front door slowly opened and I slowly backed away, until I realised that they weren't ghosts at all. It was Naruto, completely exhausted with dark circles below his eyes. He was holding an asleep Boruto in his arms, gently rocking him.

Naruto: "What are you doing, come in"

Aoi: "What the hell happened to you two, you look like zombies"

Naruto: "Boruto cried all night..."

Aoi: "Oh..."

Naruto: "Yeah"

I came in and entered the living room where Hinata was, sitting on the couch, barely awake, in the same condition as Naruto. I jumped onto the couch and she immediately snuggled into my fur, falling asleep.

Aoi: "If you want, I can take care of him for today, so you can rest"

Naruto: "We'd really appreciate that, but it's okay, it's not that bad yet, just let Hinata sleep for a bit"

Aoi: "Alright"

Naruto sat down at the dining table and zoned out. I stayed still for a couple of hours, falling asleep myself, until Hinata woke up and switched with Naruto, who flopped onto the couch and passed out instantly. Hinata quietly asked me if I could run an errand for her. She needed me to run to the store and grab some fruits, instant ramen packets and diapers. I did so and grabbed some flowers from the Yamanaka on the way back, hoping to brighten up their day. Hinata appreciated the gesture and I left so they could take care of Boruto without interruptions. I gave them their space after that, only stopping by to see if they needed help running errands and to babysit Boruto when they both had somewhere to be.