(Name) Almost Dies After Dying

Note: I'm the author of this fic, it's also posted on Quotev

Were... Were you a bad person?

You didn't think that you were

You'd like to think that you were a good person

Hopefully...

You lived your life modestly. You gave back whatever you took-- made sure you had passing grades to please your parents, even.

But you were sure that you never hurt anyone. Even the thought of causing harm to another person just for your own pleasure sounded disgusting to you.

If anything, it was usually you who ended up being treated as a doormat to those around you. Not that you really cared.

You just let it happen. It didn't bother you at all if you were pushed around or made fun of. Where you had gone to school the faculty and teachers actually cared, so any bullying never went too far.

If there was something that was going to send you to hell, it would be your hobbies. You shamelessly simped and thirsted over people who weren't even real and read some of the spiciest fanfiction on the internet and started repenting right afterwards, like that would save you.

Maybe that's why you were bullied? Sounded about right.

And never had a relationship-- your standards were either garbage or the bare minimum. Because you knew that if anime characters were ever real, you'd have no chance.

Wow, reflecting on your poor choices was fun.

That's why you were asking the question "am I in hell because I'm a bad person?".

No, of course not. If you were a horrible person, you'd never be here.

You were a good person

You are a good person

You had no idea where you were, and that's why you were wondering if you were about to be dragged down to hell. It felt like you were floating, but you were in some sort of... grey area.

Like some idiot in a horror movie, you had called out a few times.

It wasn't much, but it gave you the information that there was an end somewhere, since your voice ended up echoing. What was unsettling was that there was something to bounce off of.

In your current state, a five-year-old could probably snap you in half like a twig. Your body-- it was there, but you couldn't move. Your muscles were relaxed, and you had honestly never felt better.

No back pain from your nights of hunching over at your computer and watching the latest episodes of your favorite anime. No more shrimp spine.

It was strange. You already knew that you must have been dead. It wouldn't be possible to be floating around an endless plane of grey in real life. Or reality. Now that you were dead, you were racking your brain for any plausible answers for what was happening.

Hell was still ruled out-- you weren't being tortured for your sins yet.

And at the thought of you getting into heaven almost got a chuckle out of you.

Your first thought was that you were in the area between life and the afterlife. If you were, that sucked, because you were already getting bored waiting around and floating around in this place. (Never mind that you were literally defying physics and floating around).

Oh God, were you in a liminal space? That's the worst-case scenario. Do you know what kind of monsters are in the backrooms? Not hot ones.

How did you even die?