Not So Sweet Dreams (Nightmares, Actually)

Sunlight shone through the curtains of your room. They flooded right into your eyes, to which you let out an annoyed huff and rolled over to the side. You hated when the sun woke you up like that.

Your eyes slightly cracked open, and you took notice that the light that seeped through your windows was now illuminating the bare wall of your room.

It reflected off of the white paint and made the light even brighter. You couldn't sleep like this-- no, you needed darkness.

"Kosai..." you muttered, screwing your eyes shut. Your voice was thick with the slumber you were just roused from. "...Get the curtains, please."

No answer

Grunting, you covered your head with your blanket to dive further into the darkness. "Kosai, I know that you're awake. You always wake up before me. Come on-- it's our one day off. We get to sleep in..."

Training the following day-- you weren't looking forward to it. You just wanted to rest. Smoker had absolutely throttled you the day before with your Haki training. At least you were getting better at reading and predicting moves.

"Hey? Hello?? I'm talking to you, idiot."

Silence

An... Eerie silence

Did I do something...? Your lips pursed and your eyes were half lidded. Now you're getting a bit annoyed. Ah. I guess it was a little harsh to say that. I should probably stop calling you names so much. Sorry Kosai, I won't do it again.

It was slightly concerning that he didn't even answer you when you had apologized. That was odd. He usually did. Then he usually told you that you needed to "treat him with more respect" or something of the sort. Honestly? As long as he stayed your friend, you'd do anything. He was a comforting presence.

You had grown to like him-- and had become fond of the demon. It wasn't like Kosai could say the same. It was like he was keeping all of his feelings in his chest and planned to die someday so he wouldn't have to tell you.

You shook your head. You needed to try again.

"Ko?"

Nu-uh

"Koko?"

Nothing

He's being a brat today, you thought sourly. Sorry for just being here, I guess.

Well, you could try to sleep. It shouldn't be that hard, even with a little light in your room. You were too lazy to get up and move yourself. Shifting around, you moved some of your pillows, of which you usually had many, and sank back into your bed.

Until your alarm scared you back into the horrible world of the living.

"Shit-- Shit-- Kosai, turn that off-- someone--"

You clawed at the ground from underneath the covers where the blaring alarms came from. It was pure instinct. You never set your alarm on your bedside table, which you didn't even use, and you only kept it on the floor, so you'd get out of bed and make it to work. To...

Work

Work

You lurched forward and almost fell off the side of the bed to get to your clock. Paying no attention to how your nails scaped uncomfortably against the wood, you searched without looking over the bed.