Chapter 17: Nothing adds up

Recap:

I clenched onto my throat and inhaled intensely knowing that I was only filling up my lungs with more smoke but inhaling was a habit I had. As Luke and I layed I had a feeling this was the end, I watched as the flames spread to the couch closest to us. I maneuvered my hand with the last bit of energy I had and I interlocked Luke's hand with mine.

"I'm so sorry" I whispered before I closed my eyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emma's P.O.V:

I was dragged on the wooden floors of my lounge room. I struggled to rip my eyes open and I couldn't think straight.

"Are you alright miss?" the tall fire man asked me.

I answered him with harsh coughs which made my throat burn, I nodded so he would at least get a decent reply.

"You saved my life" Luke coughed from beside me.

"We saved each other" I managed to say.

I was laying on a linen bed still inside my foyer. There was a long skinny tube that ran from my nose all the way down my arm and off the beds edge.

"I'm so sorry" Beau said to me. He had guilt shining through his face but he also had tears swelling up in his eyes, something I never imagined to see.

My breaths were heavy and short lasting. Each time I inhaled it sounded as though I was gasping but in a husky voice and every time I exhaled there was a wheezing noise.

"What happened?" I wheezed out.

I struggled to breath, I'm so lucky that I'm alive. I looked around the room, Luke was in an identical bed to me, Jai and James were sitting on my stairs with their head in their hands. I questioned where Daniel was and the room fell silent.

I heard Jai sniffle and I watched as James placed his hand on Jai's back, James reassured him that everything will be okay. With each breath I took, it felt as though it would be my last.

"It's my fault" Beau said and wiped the tear that was gliding down his cheek.

I was about to ask another question but all I managed to do was cough again. With my throat burning and the constant pressure on my chest I asked once more where Daniel was.

A woman in a white button up shirt, yellow vest, black trousers, neat bun and black cap approached me. A saddened look was plastered on her face which made the whole mood bad.

"Emma Sahyoune?" she asked for clarification.

I didn't want to cough in the woman's face so I just nodded.

"Your brother, Daniel, he is in a coma, we don't know how long he will be in this state for, it could be 5 minutes or it could be quite a few years even to the point where he could never wake up" she said gently.

I didn't have time to prepare for the worst, she just piled it on me. Once she said the end of her sentence she covered her mouth because she knew she said the wrong thing. What was I to think? Daniel could die.

I couldn't help but blame myself, I should have saved him. I don't remember ever seeing him in amongst the smoke but if I did, I would have rescued him. I exploded into tears because that's the only thing that I could do.

The thoughts of never seeing him again flashed through my mind, Christmas will never be the same without him and on his birthday, what would we celebrate? The great person he was or would we continue to morn.