Chapter 33: To Lacey

"It happened so suddenly" he whispered, the cool air nipping my skin.

I looked up at the dark star which was lit up by little twinkling stars. I sighed, I knew what he was going through.

"None of us expected it" I replied, gently tapping his knee cap for reassurance and comfort.

He scoffed "Does that mean none of us cared enough to see the signs?" he was blaming himself internally.

"There were no signs Marcus, you can't sit here blaming yourself" I told him.

"No one knew that this whole time she was unhappy?" he asked as though it were impossible to believe.

Maybe he was right, maybe we were so infatuated with ourselves that we didn't care to worry about how she was feeling. She was so quiet yet no one asked why. She probably sat in her room for hours waiting for someone to check up on her, some one to care but no one showed up. She must have felt so lonely.

A warm finger skimmed my cheek in attempt to wipe away the falling tear. He sent me a heart warming smile, raising his arm behind me, he hugged my side.

"I didn't mean to make you cry" he said. This wasn't a lovers hug, that was evident. It was friendly and comforting and you know what, guys and girls can be friends.

I sniffled as I took a deep breathe, the cool air freshening the back of my mouth. As though in sync we both thought that it was enough and we got up out of the sand. He stood a meter away from me, we just needed our own time to think.

"Do you think I'll get over it?" he asked randomly, his vans swaying aimlessly at his side.

"Get over it? Never. Move on? Yes" I replied and he seemed to understand.

"She'd rave on about you" he said with a side ways smile, just at the thought.

"Really?" I chuckled knowing that she'd talk plenty about him to me as well.

"For sure, she said that your smile could instantly light up a room and that your jokes are always funny. She told me that you enjoy watching two and a half men and your favourite band is Paramore" he said, reminiscing on her words.

There was a silent pause, we were both just smiling at the memory of Lacey. I felt closer to her at that moment, as though she was beside us on the sand.

"I hope you don't regret what we had" he said suddenly.

"I don't" I said, slightly shaking my head.

"I also hope you don't regret that we never worked out" he added.

Once again I shook my head "I don't" I replied in honesty. Truth was, I wouldn't be who I am or where I am without Marcus. In my memory he is a good friend and that was enough for me.

"Do you, regret it, I mean?" I asked back to just to see his reaction.

He shrugged "No, I don't, you brought me through the threshold of love and I would have never been able to understand it if it weren't for you"

He paused "Additionally, I'm seeing someone but it all seems kind of pointless without Lace" he added.

"Why is that?" I questioned.

"She set me up with her, the perfect match, her name is Carly, Lace met her during work experience.." he drifted off.

"Lace matched me up too" I added with a big smile at the thought of Beau.

"Well here it is" he said, cupping the air.

He pretended to take a sip to I think the fake cup he was holding so I joined in.