Chapter 32: He Returns

If you are capable of making and editing a book cover for my new book please contact me via inbox or on twitter: Obey_Janoskian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cool air whipped my skin as I took each breathe. The fallen leaves crunched beneath the soles of my converse as I took each step. I scrunched my nose as I stuffed my hands in the pockets of my jumper. The question still remained as to why I was out in the freezing cold.

"Jai, where are you taking me?" I asked for most likely the fifth time.

"Stop complaining" was all he replied as he remained the even distance of two meters ahead.

I decided to clamp my mouth shut due to the fact that every time my lips slightly moved they would crack and I didn't have any lip balm on me. I couldn't see much of the surroundings, there was a street light that was extremely faint but it's glowing seemed to illuminate the whole street. Unfortunately, it was 10 meters away and the light didn't seem the be guiding my footing.

I could tell that I was falling to the ground when the wind speed picked up. Subconsciously my right arm dropped down to break my fall. Along with the whole area covered with leaves I came to realise that it wasn't going to hurt. And it didn't. I helped myself up and I kept an extra eye out for rocks that seemed to place themselves anywhere.

Fixated on my footing I didn't come to realise that Jai had stopped walking, not until I walked straight into his back. I quickly apologised before balancing myself. I peered over his shoulder to examine the root cause as to why we had stopped.

"Shhh, you'll scare it away" he whispered to me. I shuddered as his warm breath hit my cheek.

There, digging amongst the bushes was a small rabbit. His eyes were as black as night, his fur as delicate as linen, his nose as small as a thumb tack and his awareness as keen as an alarm system. His ears twitched as we both took a step forward. Amongst the silence, our footsteps seemed to echo.

"How did you find him?" I whispered to Jai.

"I saw the fella by the tree when we were on the playground. The boys didn't care as much but I thought you'd appreciate it" Jai whispered back but not turning his head to face me.

I had a bunny rabbit when I was a kid. It had only lasted two weeks when Daniel came outside and tackled it. Thinking the bunny would get up and run again, he became wary when the bunny just laid there, still. Although I hadn't had the chance to grow attachment or emotion to the rabbit as it was only mine for such a short time, I still managed to cry that whole week.

I never got the chance to buy another bunny but since then I had grown fond of them. I don't remember mentioning my bunny to Jai, or maybe I had and he took the effort to remember. One thing I do know is that Beau wouldn't even have known that I had a bunny as a pet.

"Thank you" I said sincerely, slipping my hand into his that just hung, effortlessly by his side.

His fingers reacted immediately to the touch of my hand. Intertwining his fingers with mine seemed to warm my whole body. Suddenly, that constant shudder I felt on my spin was no longer recurring.

"Come on, let's get back home" Jai said, spinning us around.

During the walk home, I came to admire the male figures in my life. Luke, James, Daniel, Dad, Jai and Beau. I had to thank each and every one of them for having such a positive impact on my life.

"Emma" Jai whispered although we were now far from the rabbit.

"Yeah?" I said in a hush tone.

"Thanks for being here" he said.