It's Quiet Uptown - Bucky Barnes x Reader

Words: 1876
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x (f)Reader
Warnings: death, angst
Requested by anon
Summary: Being married to Bucky Barnes is a rollercoaster, but you're making it work. One day, you have to work and let Bucky have a day with your son, but will you regret it?
Author's Note: This is a song fic based off of It's Quiet Uptown from Hamilton. Also, a few female pronouns were used.

*Edited

-

You would like it uptown, it's quiet uptown.

-

You trusted your husband. Some days it was a great thing, but some- not so much.

You trusted Bucky to watch your thirteen-year-old son and have some fun while you worked with Tony and Bruce on a project they've wanted your help on. You weren't really sure why they wanted your help, but apparently, you're able to help them crack the code.

You considered leaving your son with Bucky with Uncle Steve watching over his shoulder, but it just so happened that Steve was on an emergency mission, so you had to let Bucky watch him alone.

It's been hard to have Bucky in your son's life. After falling in love, getting pregnant, losing Bucky again, and finding out he's not actually dead only to get married again a year later- it's been a roller coaster of emotions, and you weren't sure your son would understand what was going on.

You figured it was probably time to let them have some time together, but you couldn't stop working- so you left them alone.

---

You, Banner, and Stark decided to take a break from cracking this code no one could seem to get. It was one of the more challenging things you've worked on with the two, but you knew you guys would get it eventually; it just might take a bit longer.

So you walked out to find Natasha and Clint sitting on a couch, and when Natasha saw you, she quickly looked away.

"Oh no, what's going on?" You asked. "Where's Buck?"

Neither of them replied, and you looked to Bruce and Tony, slowly getting more worried.

"Where the hell is Bucky and my son?" You asked again. No answer. "Natasha, Clint, answer me right now!"

"He's on a mission," Clint said quickly- speeding through his words like the Maximoff boy does.

You raised an eyebrow. "So where's my son, then?" You asked.

Natasha shifted in her seat.

"Natasha." You said.

"It was a last-minute mission, and when Bucky mentioned it, he wanted to go so badly." She said quietly.

"Don't say what I think you're gonna say." You told her.

"Bucky gave in to his begging." She whispered.

Your hands formed into fists, and you tried not to get mad. "Where are they?"

"About that...we're working on getting Bucky's tracker back up and running," Clint said.

"Don't worry; we made sure your son was wearing some protection, so he wasn't out getting killed," Natasha added.

You winced at the thought of losing your child- it sounded like hell.

"We'll get back to work on that code another day. Tony, it would be fantastic if you could suit up and go find my dumb husband and irritable son." You said to Tony, and he nodded.

"On it." Tony turned and walked to where his suits were.

A few minutes later, you were sitting with Nat and Clint as Banner headed back to the lab to make sure he wasn't in the way.