Secrets Are For Children - Steve Rogers x Reader

Words: 1053
Pairing: Steve Rogers x Reader
Featuring: Bucky Barnes, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton
Warnings: I think there was one swear word
Requested by anon
Summary: Steve and you are keeping secrets from each other, and you're so good at it, neither of you know. Eventually, your friends have had enough, and turn into matchmakers.
Author's Note: I miss the days of domestic Avengers in the compound/tower. good times.

*Edited*

---

"So, you and Steve?" Bucky asked you as you stole a piece of Clint's "reserved" pizza from the fridge.

You looked back with your eyes wide in fear that it was Clint. But when you noticed it was just Bucky, you sighed, and a smile grew.

"What do you mean?" You took a bite of the pizza.

"You know what I mean." Bucky winked.

You shook your head and laughed a bit. "I guess, not?" You put your hand on Bucky's shoulder. "Don't tell Clint I ate his pizza; I'll see you later!" And you ran out.

Right as you ran out, Natasha walked in. "Where is (Y/N) going so fast?" She laughed as Bucky looked shocked.

"Are (Y/N) and Steve together?" Bucky asked.

"I thought they were. Is that where (Y/N) was going?" Natasha questioned.

Bucky shrugged and had a puzzled look on his face. "When I asked about them and Steve, (Y/N) acted like they had no idea what I was implying."

"But it's almost obvious they at least like each other." Natasha was now confused as well. "I for sure thought they were dating."

"I... don't know?" Bucky answered, but it came out as almost a question.

"I guess I know who I'm going to go talk to," Natasha smirked as she grabbed a fruit out of the bowl on the table and walked out, a slight wave to Bucky. Bucky was just confused about what was going on with all his friends.

Natasha set out to find Steve, and it actually took her a while. She kept telling herself "he's probably making out with (Y/N)." But her common sense told her that that probably wasn't what was going on.

She eventually found him sitting on the patio outside, looking at the sunset. Steve didn't hear her open the door, and she accidentally scared him when she sat next to him. He didn't seem to care that she scared him, though; he was lost in thought.

"Are you ever going to ask (Y/N) out?" Natasha asked.

Steve laughed in reply, as well as a slight eye roll. "Like that would ever even work out," He said, "They don't like me that way."

Just then, Natasha realized what was going on and decided she would stay out of it- well, maybe.

She realized that you two were so in love with each other that every time you two talked, you were blinded by the love to notice how the other person was acting towards you. They looked like the most confident they could ever be and didn't look phased by talking to you. But in reality, you two were both nervous little shits who cared too much about the other and tried not to make it awkward.

And that was making both of you oblivious to the fact that you each were in love with one another.

Natasha ended the conversation quickly, but not out of nowhere that made it seem suspicious. After she got inside, she ran around the whole building to find Bucky.

"WE HAVE TO HELP THEM." She yelled, totally going against what she told herself a few minutes ago.

"What? Who? What's going on?" Bucky jumped back, shocked by Natasha.

Natasha grabbed Bucky's arm and pulled him away. When they passed Clint, she grabbed him too.

---

"Steve's keeping a secret from you," Clint told you.

"He wouldn't do that." You shrugged, flipping through the random magazine you found lying on a table.

"But he is." Clint continued on.

"Then, what is it? You seem to know." You rolled your eyes.

"I think Steve should be the one to tell you," Clint said.

"Clint, you're annoying me. It doesn't seem like Steve has a secret, and if he does, then he's probably keeping it from me for a reason." You told him, and shooed him off.

Clint walked out, gave Natasha and Bucky a look, and they walked in.

"I can't believe he said that," Natasha whispered to Bucky.

"Yeah, I'd never thought he would say something like that!" Bucky said back, loud enough for you to hear. "I wonder what (Y/N) would say...oh, hi." Bucky saw you.

"Who said something about me?" You turned around.

Both of them stood silent- the plan was working. "Guys..." You groaned.

"Steve." Natasha and Bucky said at the same time. "You should really talk to him."

You groaned louder this time and stood up. "Fine, I'll go find him," You sighed as you walked out of the room. And once you were out of sight, Clint, Natasha, and Bucky all high-fived.

"Now, all we have to do is wait." Natasha smiled.

You set out to find Steve and found him training. He was hitting a punching bag, and hard, he seemed mad.

"Hey, Steve..." You greeted quietly as you walked in.

He stopped hitting the bag and gave you a weak smile. "Hey, (Y/N)."

"I have a question for you." You told him.

"I have an answer." He smiled as he began to unwrap his hands.

"Alright, are you keeping something from me?" You blurted out, not even second-guessing yourself.

Steve's head shot up to look at you. "N-no, why would I hi-hide anything from you?" Steve stammered out, and he stopped making eye contact.

"Oh my gosh, you are!" You yelled, hitting his shoulder. "Come on; now you've got to tell me."

"It's nothing important." He sighed, looking down.

You crossed your arms and smirked. "Steve Rogers, didn't anyone ever tell you that secrets are for children? Spill."

Steve groaned and looked back up to you, but it wasn't a confident look. "Fine, I uh," He started, "(Y/N), I like you, like a lot." He said, and it was funny- he sounded like a child when saying it.

You looked at him in shock. "You're serious?" You asked, and he just nodded, looking back down to his fiddling fingers. You smiled in reply, walked up to him, grabbed his face, and pulled him in to kiss you.

Steve smiled into the kiss, and it was like it was meant to be, as cheesy as it sounded.

And only a few days after this happened, Clint, Bucky, and Natasha were able to celebrate with takeout food and ice cream, that they got you two to go on a date.