Chapter Ten

"Grandpa, is there a possibility that I could kill?"

Remorse took over his features in a flash before going back to its stony face.

"Yes there is"

Mouth hung open, eyes wide as heartbeats increase its pace. Tremendous fear crept its way to a heart that is denying the truth.

It can't be....

"Alexandrielle! Breakfast is ready" I heard nanny's soft voice on the other side of the door.

"Be there in a sec" I answered while I continued answering these damn modules.

"But it's your family breakfast today. All of you should attend at the same time. This is the only day you get to eat with your whole family again." She told me. She knows that I'm always not in the mood to eat with anybody. I only eat all by myself.

I just shook my head even though she could see me. My heart ached as I remember what happened before that made me distant.

Flashback...

I was still a kid before. My parents are always busy that they couldn't even spare me a glance. I still remembered that they are never in good terms.

During dinner times, they're always silent; except when someone calls them and whatnot.

I was three when mom announced that she is pregnant with a baby boy. I watched dad's eyes light up as he rushed towards mom and hugged her tightly, twirling her in the air in happiness.

Since then, they became happy. They always talk, smile, joke, and even dad is getting affectionate with mom. I am happy too. A brother is a very happy news for me. I'm so excited to have a playmate!

But everything changed when mom gave birth. They still won't even acknowledge me. Only nanny is the one who is taking care of me.

When I tried getting along with them, dad just pushed me and said "You're not welcome here"

That hurt me a lot. Since then, I never tried getting into 'their' family. I am just a shadow, watching them from afar but never be able to join.

Flashback Ends

"I don't think I'm welcomed, nanny" I told her sadly. The door softly opened and I heard her footsteps behind me.

I feel her arms wrap around me and my shoulders slouched. Her one hand rubbed my forearm as she tried comforting me. "It's OK. Just...join them when you're ready. I understand" she said before going out of my room, shutting the door gently behind her.

I bit my lip as I twirl the pen in my hands. Uhhh...how did I get a pen again?

....oh right. I sneaked at dad's office last night and took a pen. Wow, I'm brainy ;-).

I continued answering these damn modules when suddenly, it stopped working.

I tapped it a few times but still, no ink. I tapped it again, but after a few futile attempts; I got frustrated and threw the stupid pen at the wall for the second time.

I sighed. Obviously dad has a bad choice of pens. Geez!

Getting out of my room, I made my way to dad's office. Opening the door, the room is dark with only the study lamp lighted. I switched the lights on and I was immediately greeted by my father's gray painted walls.

In my opinion, it's too big for it to be called as 'office' only. The walls are all closed but there is a small window on the upper left of it. The desk was the chocolate brown colored mahogany desk, along with the chairs and other tables...even the book shelves and desktop tables.

Approaching the desk, his vase of pens and pencils is missing. I even notice that there are only few files on his desk. Odd...maybe all are transferred to his office at the company?

I opened his drawer and scurried through it, looking for any sign of pens.

Fuck! They were just here last night! Did they transfer it when I was asleep? But that's not possible. It was very late when I slept.

Something's fishy in here.