35. Cheer up.

Charlie had gone home after a weekend and she took a long time to say goodbye, but eventually let him go. We were still on weird terms, we were a little distant but it wasn't horrible.

My eyes fluttered open and it looked like she was holding onto me for dear life. She was shaking and an occasional tear slipped down her cheek. She started to murmur and her eyes squeezed shut.

"Harlow. Harlow, calm down." I said softly, lightly shaking her and caressing her cheek, wiping away the tears.

Her eyes opened and stared up at me. She gulped and her lip quivered. "It's okay, it's just a dream." I cooed.

"No, i-it was real. In Sicily." She stuttered and I furrowed my eyebrows, hugging her tighter, wanting her to feel safe.

"I thought you stopped having the nightmares?"

"I did too. Can we not talk about it?" She whispered and I nodded.

"Sure, mio bellezza." I hate that I don't know how to stop it. How to stop her bad thoughts and nightmares. The least I can do is make her feel safe.

****

I sipped my coffee and waited for my new tactic to work.

I smiled when I finally heard it. The sound of her laughter. I heard her footsteps followed by bigger ones and they came into the kitchen. I really owe Zach.

She kissed my cheek, making my smile spread wider. "Hey, Harlow."

"Hi." She grinned. My eyes shifted to Zach and he gave me a small nod. "So, I have a new question for you." She raised an eyebrow at both of us.

"Hm?" I took another sip.

"Do the people in this house all have telepathy but me?"

"No?" I tilted my head, clearly confused.

"Why do you ask?" Zach leaned on the counter.

"Because I just saw it. Don't think I didn't see your little look and nod!" She mocked and grabbed orange juice from the fridge.

We both chuckled. "You're not drinking coffee today?" I asked.

"There's none in the pot."

"Then just fix more."

"But I'm too lazy." She poured it in a glass a took a sip. "You wanna go out today?"

She turned around and opened the cabinet. She groaned loudly in frustration. She turned around slowly and looked at me with a pout. "I'm short." She pointed to the bread that was on the top shelf, about two feet higher than her height.

"I know you are." I reached up and easily grabbed the bread. I gave it to her with a smug grin.

"Thanks."

"Mhm. And yes, I do want to go out today."

"How do you know if I was talking to you?" She teased.

"Because, like you said, I have mind telepathy." I wiggled my eyebrows and she rolled her eyes.

"It's okay, Zach. I won't leave you lonely. You can come too." She patted his shoulder.