50. You and Me, Me and You

I had just put the twins down for their morning-near afternoon nap, and It had already been over an hour. Cristiano, though he said he would, didn't get here yet. Another hour went by and he still wasn't there.

I went up to see if the twins were still sleeping, which they were, and I looked at my watch that I got for Christmas that said 'wifey', which Cristiano had a matching one to say 'hubby'. It was nearly one o'clock and he was supposed to be here hours ago. Like he said he would.

I sighed in annoyance and headed downstairs into the kitchen to get my Oreos and some milk, and when I went into the living room, I stopped. His eyes met mine and he grinned slightly. "Hey, bellezza."

I didn't smile. "Hey." I sat down on the couch, a good distance away from him. I turned on the TV and put it on How I Met Your Mother. "You been here long?"

"I just got here like five minutes ago." He said, as if his happy tone would possibly take my annoyance away from him.

"Great." I set my glass of milk on the coffee table and turned up the volume of the show.

"Harlow." He sighed apologetically. I turned the volume up higher and I knew it annoyed him. "Harlow..." He called again and I ignored him.

He reached over and snatched the remote for me, muting the TV. I glared at him. "Give it back."

"No. Harlow—" I tried to take it from him but he held it up high. I stood on my knees to take it but he outstretched his arm to hold it far away from him. I placed my hand on his shoulder to reach for it, but he threw it across the room and his arms snaked around my waist to hold me.

"Fine. What do you want?" I huffed.

"Let's talk." He said with a frown.

"No, you're just going to apologize. Apologies don't change anything. It doesn't make me any less pissed at you. You said you'd be here in 45 minutes. It's been nearly three hours, Cristiano. Even if I'd never said anything, I bet you would've probably missed dinner too. You always miss dinner." I breathed, pushing on his chest to make him let me go.

He kept a tight hold on me and gazed into my eyes sadly. His hand cupped my face as his thumb caressed my cheek and I looked down. "I know. And I apologize sincerely. I got caught at the conference and you just happened to call me in the middle of something really important. I have someone taking notes for me so I could leave. Let's spend the rest of the day together." He lifted my chin to make me look him in the eyes.

His ocean blue eyes were so sincere and sorry, and I couldn't help but be mad at him a little less. "With me, or the kids too?"

"All three. And then, if you'd like, we could have a night just to ourselves." He smiled.

I failed a suppressed smile. "Do you know how long it's been since we've been alone for more than an hour?"

"Too long. And I want to make it up to you. Because what's happening with us is my fault, and it's my job to be a good dad and a good husband."

I rested my forehead onto his. "I never said you weren't. You do your job great enough." I kissed his lips assuringly. "Gotta go see if they're awake yet." I whispered, moving away from him to go upstairs.

He followed me up and into the nursery, and Rosaria, like this morning, was standing up and holding on to the bars of the crib. She bounced a little seeing Cristiano for the first time since yesterday, with a loud 'Dada'. He lifted her up and kissed her cheeks, making her laugh a little and blow a raspberry with her lips.