Chapter 18

THE NEXT DAY

I pulled into my parking lot at my boutique with a new sense of relief. After talking with the police yesterday, they agreed to look into my case within a few weeks. Even though that's not as soon as I would like it to be, it's better than the usual months you have to wait. I grabbed my purse out of my passenger seat and headed into the shop. I greeted a few customers and made my way into my office.

I closed the door behind me and logged on to my computer. All of a sudden there was a slight knock on the door. "I can never get anything done." I mumbled. "Come in!" I opened a few files on my computer as Kerri walked up to my desk. As I was typing, Kerri dropped a yellow envelope on my keypad. I looked down at it and frowned. "What's this?" Kerri shrugged. "Mail I guess, it was stuck in between the front door when I came in this morning." I nodded slowly. "Alright thanks." I shot her a small smile as I watched her walk out of my office. I picked up the envelope carefully and read my name that was written across it.

I lifted a brow as I undid the clasp, wondering what could be inside. I dumped out the components on my desk, and tossed the envelope in the trash. I picked up the stack of pictures and glanced at them. "What the hell." I said under my breath. I held the pictures closer to my face to get a better look. ".....Is that...August??" I asked confused. I flipped through the rest of the pictures and dropped them on my desk. Every picture was a picture of August from behind or from the side, getting out of his car, coming from the grocery store and other things. Obviously someone had to be following him to have all these pictures.

I sat back in my chair frozen, knowing that this had to be the doing of Quan's brother. I shuffled threw the trash and pulled out the envelope, reaching my hand inside to see if I had missed anything. I pulled out a small piece of paper and read it outloud. "A life for a life." I crumbled up the paper confused as hell. I had no clue what was going on, but I knew it was nothing good. I stuffed all the pictures in a drawer and locked it. I quickly dialed August's number on my office phone. Even though we hadn't spoken in awhile, this was a emergency. I tapped my finger rapidly on my desk, waiting for him to answer.

AUGUST: "What?"

He asked rudely.

ME: "Do you have a minute?"
He sighed.

AUGUST: "Nah, I don't."

ME: "Well can you make a minute please?"

There was silence for a second.

AUGUST: "Wassup? Im busy."

ME: "Where are you right now??"
AUGUST: "You keepin tabs on me now?"

I sucked my teeth.

ME: "Seriously, August."

AUGUST: "Im bouta do a interview real quick."

ME: "....And where is that exactly..?"

AUGUST: "Man wassup? I ain't got time for games."

I cleared my throat, taken back at how he was talking to me.

ME: "Look, I think someone might be following you."

August chuckled.

AUGUST: "Ion got times for your lies and games right now ma ight? Im workin."

I frowned.

ME: "Why the hell would I lie about this???"

AUGUST: "You haven't been to honest in the past obviously."

I sighed.

ME: "Uh neither have you, and If your referring to what happened the other day, I already apoligized about that."

August sucked his teeth.

AUGUST: "I gotta go, I ain't got time for this."

I opened my mouth to speak, but the dial tone in my ear stopped me. I hung the phone up angrily. I took a deep breath and dropped my head in my hands. I wish he would have listened to me, he could be in real danger and he won't even hear me out. I heard my door open and I looked up from my hands to see Ellis standing in the door way. "The she-devil is here." He said with a stank face. I frowned. "Stasia?" Ellis shook his head. "Ariana?" He nodded. "Alright, thanks."

As if I wasn't going through enough, Ariana was here most likely trying to make my life a living hell. I got up from my desk and fixed my skirt. I walked out to the front of the store and spotted Ariana by the dress racks. I sighed and walked over to her. "Hey." I said plainly. She looked up from one of the dresses she was holding and smirked at me. "Oh, hello Simone." "Ellis told me you were here, you need something?" Ariana shook her head. "Nope, Im just a customer today." My brows shot up. "....Your buying something from here?" Ariana nodded.

"Shocking right?" She said smiling. "Yeah it is." I mumbled. "I need something to wear on my date with August tonight, and I've been eyeing this dress ever since I came in a few weeks ago." She picked the dress off the rack and layed it across her arm. "...Oooh yeah, I forgot about the other three dates you wanted." I folded my arms across my chest and rolled my eyes a little. Ariana chuckled. "Yeah about that, you held up your end of the bargain and I appreciate it, but I won't be needing your help anymore." I frowned. "Really? And why is that?"

Ariana looked through some jewelry and faced me. "August wants to go on a real date with me, he doesn't want to do the deal thing anymore." I nodded slowly. "Mmm and what brought this on all of a sudden?" Arian shrugged. "I don't know really, he just called me last night and asked me out on a date." She smiled widely. "That's so cute right?" I faked a smile and nodded. "Ring these up for me please?" She handed me her dress and matching jewerly. I grabbed the scanner from behind the desk and rang her items up. "$201.14" Ariana nodded and handed me her credit card. "Thanks so much." I nodded. "It's my job." I said plainly. Ariana chuckled.

"I meant for introducing me to August, this is all happening because of you." She shot me a huge smile. I bagged her stuff and handed it to her. "Thanks again." She took her bag and walked out of the shop.

4 HOURS LATER

I pulled into the police station and hurried inside. I walked up to the desk and rolled my eyes. the same lady from a few months back was still working here. I sighed and cleared my throat. "I need to fill out a description form." The lady looked up from her computer and smiled at me. "Heyy I remember you...you can in here with August Alsina a few months back." I rolled my eyes a little and nodded. "Yeah that was me....do you have the form??" The lady nodded and handed me a clipboard and a pen.

"Thanks." "You welcome...and by the way, is August single?" She asked smirking. I shrugged. "I don't know, I think he's taken." The lady frowned and nodded. I turned around and sighed. People were way to impressed my that man. I quickly filled out description form, using all the details Oscar gave me. I walked back over to the desk and handed the lady the clipboard. "I'll make sure they get this right away." She said smiling at me. "I opened a case already, I just wanted to add this." The lady nodded. "Okay, I'll get right on it." I smiled a little and walked out of the station. I guess knowing August kinda did have it's perks at times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked inside my house, kicking my shoes off at the door. I dropped my bag on the coffee table and walked into my bedroom. I threw myself back on my bed and closed my eyes. "What a day." I said in a sigh. I pulled off my clothes and got comfortable. I layed my head on my pillow, drifting slowly to sleep when my phone beeped beside me. I grunted and reached for it. I looked at the screen and shot up from the bed. "Shit! I almost forgot!" I hopped out of the bed and ran to the kitchen, opening up the fridge. I pulled out a single cupcake and got a candle and lighter from my drawer. I took a deep breath and lit the candle.

I stared at it for a second and sighed. "Happy birthday Kelsey." I blew out the candle, and tried to fight back the tears that were beginning to form. Today was my sisters 18th birthday and also another year that I've been away from her. Not knowing where or how she was killed me inside and I hated it. I stood infront of the counter, drifing back into old memories.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another chapter tomorrow .

Vote/Comment!!