Chapter 5: A Family Visit

"If someone really wants to see you, they'll find a reason, they'll find a way and they'll make an effort. I'd do it, i'd find a way for Jaimie-mae."

Fabian looked towards the door when a knock came from it. A smile lit up his face but quickly faltered when it wasn't the person he wanted to see. He quickly recovered his smile so as not to show his disappointment to his parents and little brother.

It wasn't that he didn't want to see them. He was grateful that they even bothered to take time out of their busy schedules to see how he was recovering. He was just hoping to see the small girl who happened to save his life.

He could easily see she was not the biggest fan of hospitals from the one time she visited him. He hadn't asked her to come back, but he hoped she would. She hadn't yet shown her pretty face and it was now Wednesday. It had been eight days. One whole week. He was counting.

"Hey Mom, Dad and little man." He nodded to each of them.

"Fabian, i brought markers to sign your leg cast," his brother, Mason, said as he showed him the sharpies in his hand. 

"Cool. Come up here and sign then," Fabian said as he waved Mason over.

Mason quickly ran over and lifted himself onto the bed. Just as he got up on the bed, he stumbled forward and fell onto Fabian's casted leg.

"OW! F-"

His mother, Madison, quickly glared at him; effectively shutting him up. However, he did correct himself.

"Ow. Fabian didn't curse," he said in third person, sarcastically.

Mason looked at him sheepishly. "Sorry Fabian."

"Its cool little man. Just go ahead and sign the cast so you don't break my leg anymore than it already is."

Mason took his time writing down what seemed like a paragraph; switiching between markers making a pattern of blue, red then lime green. To pass the time his parents decided to start a conversation.

"So. Son..." his dad, Justin, trailed off.

"So, dad..." Fabian copied.

His dad gave him the 'keep it up and i'll give you a few more broken bones' look. Fabian quickly shot his hands up in a mock surrender.

"How are you feeling?"

Fabian knew that's not what his dad really wanted to ask. And he decided beating around the bush doesn't really do anyone any good most of the time.

"What did you really want to talk about?"

His dad didn't hesitate this time. "We were told that a young girl saved your life that night. D-"

His mom cut her husband off. "My poor boy. I can't believe you almost d-d." She rushed forward and cradled Fabian's head in her arms. After calming herself down, she pulled back and smacked the back of his head. "Don't you dare scare me like that again. If you do, you are for sure dead next time."

"Madison dear, take it easy on our son. We need him to be fully recovered so that we can break his bones again later."

"Heyyy," Fabian whined as Mason giggled. "I have such violent parents," he mumbled under his breath.

"Did you know the girl?" Justin asked.

Fabian shook his head and his mind suddenly wondered to the small girl with big blue eyes and brown hair.

A gasp from his mother shook him from his thoughts. "Do you like her? Is that why you're telling us you don't know her?" She was full on smiling at Fabian now.

He cringed slightly. "W- what no! I don't even know her personally."

"Do you at least know her name."

Fabian didn't know if he'd regret this decision but for some reason he answered truthfully. "Yeah. Her names Jaimie-mae."

"Jaimie-mae?" his parents repeated simultaneously. 

"Yeah. Why?"

"We'd like to invite her to dinner," his father said plainly.

"What! Why? We don't even know each other like that. Why would she meet my parents?"

"She saved our sons life. The least we could do is have her over for dinner. She seems like a sweet girl," his mother said.

"We've got to go now. Just make sure to ask her if she comes to visit again," Justin said as he picked up his wifes purse from the chair. "Come on Mason."

Mason quickly finished off his note on the cast then hopped down off the bed. "Bye bro. I'll bring you back some better food the next time i come.The food here looks like it tastes nasty."

Fabian chuckled. "Thanks little man. I'll hold you up to it."

He watched as his family exited the plain hospital room. He wished that he could be leaving with them too. Sitting around all day was so boring.