Chapter 6: Better

"The people who are meant to be in your life are the ones who know how to stay and patiently wait for you to heal. Fabian could do that, i know he could."

"So? Was he like... dead? Or..." Kacey trailed off as she looked at Jaimie-mae expectantly.

"What, no! He was fine. Just a little beat up." Jaimie-mae was already begininng to feel upset over her friends words.

"Was he cute?" Kacey asked as she wiggled her eyebrows.

"He was hit by a car," Jaimie-mae deadpanned. 

"Right. But was he cute?"

"Why does it matter. The only thing that matters is that he didn't d-d..." Her voice cracked and her eyes blurred.

The memories began to slowly seep back into her brain. She had taken time and effort to seal the cracks in her brain so the memories wouldn't leak back in, but the seal was broken again. All because of one night.

She hated that her mind did that. Made things seem so real. Like she was really there again.

Jaimie-mae pulled back her four friends into the tight storage closet as the teacher, Ms. Dase, went to lock the door. All five of them peeked out of the closet into the darkened classroom. Their breathing was heavy and panicked as their teacher neared the door.

"Stay quiet for me girls, okay," she whispered.

Just as Ms. Dase got to the door, it flew open.

"No!" Jaimie-mae squeezed her eyes shut and tried to block out the vivid memories. Only, they didn't feel like memories. They felt real. Right there for her to relive all the time.

"She's dead," Jaimie-mae whispered as she cried to herself.

"Jaimie. Jaimie. I'm so sorry. I-i... what should i do for you?" Kacey panicked.

Kacey got no answer to her question. The only logical thing she could think of was ask the teachers to help Jaimie-mae out so she could get fresh air. No doubt over-curious students would push for information she couldn't give. She didn't even know the reason behind Jaimie-mae's attacks.

She'd asked once before and promised herself she'd never do it again. It was scary to see Jaimie-mae so... terrified. She hated to see her in tears.

Kacey quickly ran out and brought back the councilor and the suprisingly fit gym teacher.

"Oh the poor sweet heart," Mrs Benson said as she looked down at the curled up girl on the floor. "Mr. Divow, may you please bring her into my office. And be gentle please. Don't want her panicking anymore than she is now."

The gym teacher wordlessly nodded and bent down to pick Jaimie-mae off the floor. As soon as he had her hovering off the ground she screamed, now bringing all of the attention on her.

"Go back to your notes please," Mrs Benson said sternly.

All the students heads slowly returned to thier notebooks, but now they were muttering things amongst themselves.

"What's happening to her?" Kacey asked worridely.

"You can come see her during your free period. We should get her out of here now," Mrs Benson said, completely dismissing Kacey's question.

Kacey nodded. She hoped Jaimie-mae would be okay.

***

"You were doing so good. Do you know what made you react like this today?" Mrs Benson asked as she leaned forward in her chair.