Chapter 7: What's wrong

"Watching from a distance and not being able to do anything hurt more than i anticipated."

Jaimie-mae stepped into the hospital, gripping tightly onto the straps of her backpack to calm her shaky nerves.

She couldn't beleive she had convinced herself to even come back. Well, actually her mother had a small part in convincing her to come back. But she was the one with the legs to actually get herself there. She had actually paced outside the hospital for about twenty seven minutes, but that wasn't the point. The point was that she was there. To see him.

Jaimie-mae completely skipped over the front desk when she saw the lady she ran into last time. She didn't really find her much help the last time.

Like last time, Jaimie-mae repeated the floor and room number in her head until she was standing directly at the door. She took a deep breath, but quickly regretted it when she got a huge whiff of cleaning products. She coughed lightly into her elbow then knocked on the door. No one answered, so she knocked again, this time a little louder. Once again, no one answered. Jaimie-mae just figured he was sleeping, so she backed away from the door. 

"Hi. Are you looking for someone?"

Jaimie-mae spun around quickly and spotted a young woman in scrubs who was smiling down at her.

"Um, yeah. I'm looking for Fabian Sharp," Jaimie-mae said quietly.

"Oh, he's just down here," she said as she pointed further down the hallway. "Room 144."

Jaimie-mae followed her gaze down the hallway and looked carefully at the progressively darkening hallway.

The woman must have noticed the reluctance on Jaimie-mae's face. "Would you like me to walk you down there?"

"Yes please," she said, still not taking her eyes off the hallway.

"Okay. Come on," she said cheerfully as she began walking. "Are you one of Fabian's friends."

"Ummm." Jaimie-mae didn't know what she was.

"Oh my gosh! Are you the girl that saved him?" she asked excitedly.

"I guess," Jaimie-mae said with a shrug.

"You guess? I think you are. He said that you had pretty blue eyes and brown hair. And look at that... it describes you. He also said a few other things but i think he'd he embarressed if i told you them."

Jaimie-mae looked at the woman nervously, blushing a little at her not very detailed words.

"Well, here's his room. If you need me, just call my name."

"I don't really k-"

The woman giggled slightly cutting her off. "I always seem to forget. I'm nurse Melody Page. Whats your name?"

"Jaimie-mae."

"That's a pretty name. Nice to meet you. You can go ahead inside, he's awake."

"Thanks," she said as she put her hand on the door.

She hesitated slightly but the nurse gave her a small push. "Go ahead sweety. He's going to be excited to see you. He's been complaining non-stop about how bored he's been."

Jaimie-mae let out a small laugh and pushed the door open, cringing at the slightly squeaky sound it made.

Fabian immediately spotted her as she walked into his hospital room and his excitement was clearly shown by the heart stopping smile on his face.

"Oh thank God. I thought i scared you away and you'd never come back. Hi Jaimie-mae!"

She waved shyly at him as the door closed shut behind her.