Chapter 15: The Mistake

"'Don't worry, i forgive you.'
I should have said it right there and then."

Mason had found his way closer to Jaimie-mae after she had moved herself between the two boys. Both of the brothers watched curiously as she sketched and hummed to herself. She was humming a sweet tune. 'La Vie En Rose' it was called.

They were just about straining their ears to hear her pretty hum. Her voice was just so faint, it was barely above hearing level. But when they got small parts of it, it gave off such a soft happy vibe.

It lit up the bubble that they had around them but the bubble easily popped and dripped to the ground when Justin's deep masculine voice drifted through the room.

"I've never heard you boys so quiet. We should have you over more often Jaimie-mae."

She lifted her head and smiled brightly at Justin. He chuckled at her quietly.

"There's dessert downstairs. Come on."

All three of them sprung up and abandoned the art stuff on the floor and desk. Mason left them behind by how fast he had run downstairs and Jaimie-mae had kindly stayed behind to walk alongside Fabian. She seemed to be a lot more calm and uncaring now. Fabian realized that she just needed time to warm up around him and his family. He could do that; give her time.

Once Fabian was safely down the stairs, Jaimie-mae left his side and drifted into the kitchen, instead of the dining room. He was about to follow her in, but his dad stopped him and guided him into the dining room.

He slowly eased into the polished wooden seat, which was cushioned and waited quietly at the table with his dad.

Mason's laughs could be heard around the house and soon he appeared at the table. His hair was half wet and dripping down his forehead and he had a lone cookie in his hand. Justin and Fabian chuckled at him, because obviously he had tried sneaking a bit of dessert... again. But this time it didn't seem like he got off completely safe from harm.

"If you keep stealing food all the time, you're gonna be fat," Fabian teased.

Mason only stuck his tongue out in reply and chomped down on his cookie as he sat down in a chair.

Not to long later, Madison and Jaimie-mae came into the room with bowls in their hands. Jaimie-mae had three and Madison only two.

Jaimie-mae carefully placed the bowls of dessert in front of Mason and then Fabian, then she placed hers down and slid into the seat beside Fabian. He thanked her and quickly took a spoonful, humming in delight.

Fabian was secretly surprised to see so much junk in his icecream sundae. Normally, his mom wouldn't even let them look at a sundae. This was new.

"Did you make this Jaimie-mae?" Justin asked with a smile. He knew the answer already, he knew his wife well enough to know she would never willingly make something like this.

"Hmm. Yeah. How did you know?"

"Madison would never make something like this. I like it, it's not too sweet," he said with a wink towards Fabian.

Fabian had to stifle a laugh. He completely agreed with his dad.

One day Madison was out on business and the boys decided they would rebel and eat dessert all night. At first Justin tried to be a good parent and say no, but after the fourth time of them asking, he broke and went to the store himself to buy sundae stuff.

Mason insisted that he should make the sundaes for them so they agreed and he went to work. He threw in three scoops of vanilla icecream, a butload of sprinkles, gummy bears, crumbled brownies and enough chocolate shell to cover any vanilla ice-cream that was showing.