Chapter 21: Awkward Encounter

"It takes grace to remain kind in cruel situations."

Jaimie-mae was sending her third voicemail now. She couldn't tell if this was payback for not replying to him for two weeks but it had only been two days and she was already upset.

It was totally unfair, but she wanted Fabian to call her back, or text her, or even send her a meme. She wanted something to atleast know he was alive and well.

Two days was drastically different from two weeks and Jaimie-mae felt kind of bad for being so selfish but convinced herself that she needed to hear his voice to make sure he was alright, it definetely wasn't for her own benefit.

After school she went home, relaxed for an hour, then changed into her Garden Corner uniform and walked to work.

It was slowly getting colder and Jaimie-mae began to regret not bringing an extra jacket to slip on over her small sweatshirt which she threw on over her uniform.

When she walked into work, she sighed quietly at the warmness of the restaraunt and her mouth watered at the smell of the bread they were baking in the back. She always liked that they made their own bread, because then it was warm and soft and buttery when the customers got them.

"Hey Jaimie-mae," Ryan, one of the waiters greeted.

"Hi Ryan," Jaimie-mae said as she walked past him to put her backpack down.

"Im glad you came in tonight. It's kinda busy for a Monday evening."

"Yeah."

"Lets get to work."

Jaimie-mae, Ryan and one other waitress whom she hadn't made friends with yet, were busy with taking and delivering orders. People kept filing in and filing out. They didn't get much time to sit down and rest their feet.

About two and a half hours later, Ryan called out to Jaimie-mae as he picked up a large tray of drinks.

"Can you get to that new table in the big corner please. I already gave them menus but i can't get their orders my hands are full."

"Yeah no problem," Jaimie-mae said as she steadied a sliding cup on his tray.

"Thanks, your the best."

Jaimie-mae immediately made her way over to the corner table not looking up at the table until she pulled out her notepad.

"Hi, welcome to the Garden Corner," she said as she tried to find an empty page to write down the orders. Once she found it, she looked up at the group "i'm Jaimie-mae and i'll be-"

Jaimie-mae's smile fell when she saw who was sitting there with a group of four guys and two girls, one of which was attached to his face.

One of the guys shoved the couple. "Yo guys. You're making the cute waitress uncomfortable with your PDA." When they didn't respond he threw a punch into the guy's side. "Bro, Fabian. Don't make me seperate you two."

Fabian pulled away but groaned when the girl with the platinum blond hair tried pulling him back in for another kiss. He shooed her away. "Stop. Im hungry and i want to order my food without you trying to attack me."

Fabian finally looked up and his eyes immediately met with the blue eyes of Jaimie-mae.

She immediately averted her gaze to her notepad and tried to get the image of Fabian with his hair ruffled imperfectly and his face slightly flushed. He still looked ruggedly handsome, but just twenty five percent less than he did a few days ago when he had said he had liked her.