Chapter 35: Fight

Some people are just born to fight, i guess.

Jaimie-mae's mom had just come back from a business trip three hours prior to Jaimie-mae's episode. Fabian had called, although he was reluctant, and told her the whole situation.

He saw the fear in her eyes when she looked at his dad. It was intense and real. She didn't respond to him either which hurt... a whole lot.

Fabian was never this easily affected by anything or anyone. He'd been beat up multiple times, but Jaimie-mae's sudden cold shoulder (which he knew wasn't completely intentional) hurt more than all of his beatings combined.

Justin had left an hour later, the room was sullen and quiet the whole time he had been there anyway.

Fabian thought he saw a flicker of guilt in his dad's eyes, but there was also a sadness which he couldn't quite find it in him to care about. He didn't think his dad deserved his feelings.

All he cared about now was Jaimie-mae.

The next day, he texted Jaimie-mae in hopes that she had finally come around.

Hey Jaimie😊

Hi

His face lit up when she actually replied. Though it did lack an emoji. It wasn't like her.

How are you feeling?

Fine

Fabian knew she wasn't just fine. They had promised each other that the word fine was just another way of saying 'i need a hug, i'm not okay'. They agreed not to use it because fine meant they were never really fine.

You can call me if you need to talk

I'm doing homework

Fabian realized how much that stung. She was actually trying to end the conversation. He tried to keep it going.

What type of homework?

English

He sighed at the short, one worded answers.

Oh cool. Well do good, okay.

I will

His fingers fidgeted around the keyboard. He didn't really know how else to get her to talk to him.

Food, food was always the answer.

Can i take you out for icecream or something later?

Umm. Idk. When?

I get out of the hospital tomorrow, so maybe the day after.

I'll text you later to let you know if i'm feeling up to it. I do kinda feel like icecream though.

😄 okay sure. I hope you do come for icecream with me.

After that, Fabian received no reply. He wasn't exactly upset, just a little... dissapointed.

He'd gotten a little more out of her though and that was enough for him.

***

Jaimie-mae clung to the light jacket around her as she walked down the sidewalk which was lit up by lamp posts.

She decided that a walk was much needed, especially because she hadn't been sleeping well.

She knew it was stupid of her to be walking the streets alone. In the dark. But she couldn't really find a spot in her to really care at all.