Chapter 30: I'll Wait

"If she's to good for you, my God, don't leave her. Make an effort to be good enough instead."

6 Weeks Later

After the kiss, Fabian had made it his mission to push Jaimie-mae away. She tried to ask what she had done wrong but he would simply ignore her or not reply to her texts. She could feel her heart eroding away slowly, piece by piece. 

Fabian had felt completely bored without Jaimie-mae to make him smile and he saw her one day on the street, walking home from school and his heart dropped from its place in his chest. It was safe to say that by the third week, he had run back to her to make it up to her.

He stayed with her at her house for two days, as friends. He helped her with school work and he let her vent to him. And what made him feel the slightest bit more guilty, was that she was just so quick to forgive. Not once did she complain about his sudden going MIA. Not once did she bring up anything he did to cause conflict.

She simply said "That's okay. I understand why you did it. I forgive you."

After that she was all smiles and laughs and positivity. 

Five weeks in, a girl came up to Fabian while Jaimie-mae was with him. She was pretty. But not like Jaimie-mae was.

However, it was clear the girl had a crush on Fabian and Jaimie-mae had jumped in and played wingman for Fabian. She got them to exchange numbers and Fabian shook his head at the way she encouraged them to talk.

After he had dropped her home, while he was in the privacy of his own car, he had hit his steering wheel and shouted and cursed. He wished that she had just been selfish for once and she had come out and told him she didn't want him to see other girls.

He wanted her to come back out to him and tell him her feelings. But she wasn't selfish like he was. She wouldn't take away something that could make him happy. But she didn't seem to realize that she made him happy. She was putting everyone but herself in mind and he really wished she wouldn't, just this once.

Six weeks in, they did the same thing. They sat in his car in silence, each of them too scared to speak those unspoken words. After a few moments of silence, Jaimie-mae got out and ran up into her house and into her room. He watched as she stood with her back to the window, her shoulders shaking with silent sobs and his heart clenched at the sight.

He remembered something his mom told him a while back and he shook his head at how different his mom and dad were. They were telling him two different things.

His mom had told him that if there was something he couldn't stop thinking about, then he shouldn't stop working for it.

He pulled out his phone after an hour of sitting outside of Jaimie-mae's house and texted her.

I'm here if you want me

It was a bold text, but he didn't know how else he could put it.

What you mean?

He didn't know how to make it any clearer

Shit Jaimie, i want you

Her text came back short and simple

I'm here

He immediately hopped out of his car and ran through into her house without knocking. He'd never been to her room before but somehow he found it after his second try. She was standing beside her bed with wide eyes. She obviously hadn't realized he was outside her house that whole time. She didn't realize he never left.