Chapter 56: Moving In

Choice. Chance. Change

___

"This place is great!" Jaimie-mae squealed as she scanned the partly furnished apartment.

Fabian smiled as he watched his girlfriend run back and forth between the rooms.

"Theres a kitchen!" She shouted in excitement.

Fabian threw his head back with a laugh. "I wouldn't get an apartment without a kitchen," he teased as he walked in behind Jaimie-mae.

Mason came up behind Fabian. "Can't i stay here with you guys?" He asked as he looked around with wide eyes.

Fabian chuckled and ruffled his hair. "Sorry. But nope. You've got school to finish and this is me and Jaimie's place."

Fabian was just about beaming at the way that sounded coming out of his mouth. 'Jaimie's and his place.'

Mason pouted and his eyes welled up with tears. "B-but you guys are go-gonna be so far away."

Fabian watched as Jaimie-mae sprung into action, immediately engulfing him into a hug before he began sobbing.

"Shh, shh buddy. I promise me and Fabian will visit as much as we can. I'll miss you so much."

When Fabian heard two sets of sniffles, he crouched down and pulled the two of them into his chest. He gently rubbed Mason's back and kissed Jaimie-mae's hair.

"I know it seems like a long time, but if your busy, it won't seem that long. And we'll visit every school vacation we have. I promise little man," Fabian said.

Jaimie-mae was crying as well now. "Im gonna miss my mom," she whispered.

"I know," Fabian said quietly.

"Im gonna miss you Fabian," Mason said as he snuggled his head into Jaimie-mae's shirt, probably trying to wipe away some of his snot and tears.

"I know. I'm gonna miss you too," Fabian said as he pushed back Mason's hair. "Get a hair cut before i come back."

The sound of the door clicking open made them peak their heads up, however they did not let go of eachother.

Fae came bounding into the room happily, with her tongue hanging out of her mouth, her eyes twinkling and her leash trailing behind her.

She suddenly stopped because she must have noticed the sad air surrounding them. She quickly trotted up to Jaimie-mae and stood beside her. Jaimie-mae pet her soft fur and sniffled.

"I'm gonna miss you Fae," Mason cried as he knelt down and threw his arms around the dogs neck. Fae whimpered in response and rubbed her snout into his hair.

"Can't she come back with me so that she can remind me of you guys?" Mason asked quietly.

Fabian immediately shook his head. "No, sorry. But i got Fae for Jaimie-mae, she needs her."

"Fabian," Jaimie-mae said quietly as she tugged at his shirt. "Maybe Mason should take her back home with him."

Fabian furrowed his eyebrows. "What? She's been helping you with your anxiety Jaimie. I don't think you want to do that," he whispered out.

"Mason, go play with Fae in the living room."

"Okay." Mason picked up her leash and tugged her gently out of the room.

When he was gone, Jaimie-mae spoke up.

"I-i really love Fae and i'm so thankful for you getting her for me. She's helped me... so much. But i think it would be best if she went home with Mason. It will teach him responsiblity and Fae will get the attention she deserves. We might miss one of her walks with our weird schedules or something." Tears were running down her face now.

Fabian grabbed her wet face between his hands. "Are you sure? Because we can probably make this work."

Jaimie-mae hesitantly nodded. "I want what's best for Fae."

Fabian shook his head and kissed her forehead. "Your so sweet Jaimie. Thinking about everyone before yourself."

"Hey! I hope im not interrupting anything," Jazmyn called out as she entered the kitchen.

Jaimie-mae pulled away from Fabian and tackled her mom into a hug. "Mama," she cried. "Im gonna miss you so much."

Jazmyn shushed her daughter and smoothed down her hair. "Its okay babyface. Don't cry. I'll miss you too. Your gonna do so well in college and Fabian's gonna take such good care of you and you'll do the same for him. Right?"

"Yes mama," Jaimie-mae said quietly.

"I'll see you soon okay. You'll come visit me and we'll have a big party. Im so proud of you. You've made it so far even with all the things you've been through."

Jaimie-mae laughed sadly. "Stoppp. You're gonna make me cry again."

The two girls were interrupted when Fabian's parents walked into the kitchen.

"There you are," Madison said as she walked in holding Justin's hand.

The two of them walked up to Fabian as he stood leaning against the counter.

"Hey mama. Dad."

Madison pulled her son into a hug and Justin soon followed.

"Im gonna miss my handsome boy," Madison cried as she hugged him tight against her. "You've grown up so fast. Im thankful that you didn't go to college last year. It gave us a bit more time together, right Justin?"

Fabian froze as he waited for his Dad's answer. "Yes," he said gruffly as he pulled away. There was a long pause and then he continued. "Im proud of you son. I really am. And Jaimie, you take good care of her. I know she'll do the same. I know she loves you."

Fabian couldn't hold back the smile that creeped up on his face. He pat Justin on the shoulder. "Gee, thanks dad," he said with a huge grin. "I've been waiting," he pretended to count on his fingers. "Twenty years for that."

Justin scowled and then a smile soon broke out his face. "You've done good. Prove that here as well, see."

"I will."

Justin, Madison and Jaimie-mae then shared hugs while Fabian and Jazmyn shared hugs with each other.

"You're not planning on proposing anytime soon are you?" Jazymn asked in a quiet whisper.

Fabian chuckled. "Not soon enough."