Chapter 17: Telling The Secret

"Keep your head up, gorgeous."

All four of the friends hopped out of Kano's jeep and made their way to the café. Kano put an arm over Jaimie-mae's shoulder and led her into the warm and quiet café.

Kacey, Kano and Arabella had noticed Jaimie-mae had been in a slightly depressed mood. She wasn't usually so... blue. It was strange seeing her walking with her shoulders slumped over in the hallways. They had made plans to take her out on Tuesday after school to lift her mood.

All of them slid into their usual booth and a waitress immediately walked over.

"Hey guys! The usual?"

All of them nodded and sent small smiles to the waitress, well all except Jaimie-mae. All three of her friends exchanged worried looks between each other. Jaimie-mae was usually the first one to be polite and to send positive vibes over to literally anyone.

"Jaimie-mae should we be worried right now?" Arabella asked from across the table with a raised eyebrow.

Jaimie-mae didn't answer. Her eyes looked distant and she didn't seem like she was actually there with them. Maybe physically, but not mentally.

"Jaimie-mae i can get you an icecream, my treat," Kano said, sure that she'd take the bait.

She still didn't replied. Kacey put her hand on Jaimie-mae's shoulder and she flinched.

"Sorry, i didn't mean to scare you. Kano offered to buy you an extra treat today."

Jaimie-mae offered Kano a small smile. "Thanks, but i'm okay. I'm not really that hungry."

"Woah, woah, woah. Not hungry? A growing girl has got to eat," Bella said seriously.

Bella and Kano silently communicated with their eyes, obviously planning to buy an extra treat despite the fact that Jaimie-mae wouldn't even be able to stomach it.

"Where were you after school this week?" Kacey asked quietly.

"Yeah sorry. I've been busy with homework and... therapy i guess."

"Therapy?"

"Yeah."

Obviously Kacey wanted more than what Jaimie-mae was saying. But she didn't push her. She had to be ready to talk. But if she didn't talk, it would probably be too late.

Not to long later, the waitress brought back each of their usual orders.

"One iced coffee for Kano, one green tea for Kacey, one cookies and cream milkshake for Bella anddd one caramel frappucino with light whipped cream for Jaimie-mae," the waitress said cheerfully as she placed each beverage down.

"Thanks Bailey."

She nodded and walked off to another table.

Jaimie-mae for the first time that whole week broke the silence. "Look you guys." Each one of them looked at her completely surprised. "I have to tell you something and i'm sorry i didn't tell you sooner. I just... i don't like. Whatever. I-i have-"

Jaimie-mae couldn't tell why she found this so hard. She had been able to tell Fabian and at the time she had only known him for like three of four days. She had known these guys for four months. She'd be fine. They wouldn't judge her.

Kacey rubbed Jaimie-mae's shoulder comfortingly. "Its okay. Take your time."

'It's just like a Band-Aid' she told herself. 'Rip it off. It only hurts for a second'.

"I have PTSD."

All three of her friends sat there unblinking. Just staring. All silent. Painful silence.

Then, before she knew it she was surrounded and drowned in a group hug. She was thankful she had made such good friends or else she would have died if they acted any other way.

Soon they were sat back down and sipping on their drinks like they weren't just hugging Jaimie-mae seconds ago.

"How?" Kano asked.

Jaimie-mae knew what he was asking. He wanted to know how she was diagnosed with PTSD. And so did everyone else. "I don't really like talking about it. Maybe another time."

"Oh. Alright."

Bella called out to Bailey and she came rushing over.

"What can i help you with?"

"Can i get a slice of cheese cake please?"

"Yeah, no problem."

She dashed away before Jaimie-mae could stop her and she groaned quietly.

"Thanks, but i said i wasn't hungry," Jaimie-mae mumbled.

"You're just saying that because you don't want me spending money on you."

"No. I'm really not hungry. The frappucino is enough."

"Its fine. We can share the cheesecake if you really want to."

"I can't eat it."

"Yeah you can. You love the cheesecakes here. The price doesn't even bother me. When it gets here you are going to enjoy it. Trust me," Bella said with a pointed look and a wave of her hand.

"No, i said i wasn't hungry," Jaimie-mae snapped.

Everyone sank back in their seats at Jaimie-mae's tone. Their eyes were wide with surprise. She was the most patient person you could ever come across, this was not Jaimie-mae.

Jaimie-mae shrunk back into herself. "I'm so sorry guys. Ugh, i- just give me a moment." She actually looked ashamed of herself.

"No no. It's fine. I get it."

"Excuse me," she said to Kacey.

Kacey reluctantly scooted out of the booth to let Jaimie-mae out and she walked over to the bathroom after sliding out.

Jaimie-mae gave herself a quiet pep talk in front of the mirror. She realized how horrible she looked for the first time that week.

Her hair was pulled back into a lazy ponytail because she couldn't be bothered to do much with it that morning. Her eyes had mild dark circles under them and her lips were slightly cracked. She looked a little paler than she did a week ago and she had lost an obvious amount of weight. Though no one bothered to comment on this.

She knew she was a pretty girl. She'd had multiple boys ans girls comment on her not to long ago. But now, she wasn't so sure. She didn't feel pretty. She felt gross. She needed another shower.

Jaimie-mae took a paper towel and wet it then wiped down her face to make it look more awake and lively. It didn't do much, but she felt a little fresher.

Eventually, she walked back out of the restroom but she quickly froze in shock when it wasn't just her three friends at the booth anymore.

"Fabian?"