Chapter 1

Emily

The pain in my throat was agonizing and relentless. I have been laying here, in darkness, for what feels like an eternity. I have no sense of time, there's no way to tell how long I've been here.

It hurts, so much. My body aches, even the slightest movement makes it ten times worse. I want to wake up desperately, but I don't know how.

Every know and then I'll hear someone talking, it's always a man, he says sweet things and asks me to wake up. I wish I could, his voice sounds so familiar, I want to see who it belongs to. I think he stays beside me, but I can't tell, I don't even know where I am. What was I doing before this?

Nothing comes to mind, no memories, I can't even remember my name unless I hear the man call out to me. I can only remember this darkness, this pain engulfing me.

I must be dead, this must be hell.

Thirsty...

I see something, it's white and small, but I see something. I want to move towards it but my body refuses to budge. The light is small, but I think it's coming closer, it's getting bigger.

Thirsty...

I can feel something underneath me, a blanket? Am I on a bed? There's something in my hand, it's warm. I try and squeeze it, but I can't tell if I did or not, the pain is getting worse.

Thirsty...

"Emily?"

The voice! It's him again! Maybe he felt me move, am I waking up? The light is blinding me, I can feel the bed move slightly. I feel my chest rise and fall, my eyes twitch, I can feel what's going on and I feel...

Thirsty.

I open my eyes.

There is a ceiling above me, it's dark in the room I'm in, the air is cool around me. I turn my head slightly, a man with dark hair and the most beautiful amber eyes stare back at me, he looks happy, really happy. Who is he? Why was he so happy to see me?

Thirsty.

The pain I was feeling is still there, as I look at the man, I can see the blue and purple veins running through his body. He smells so good, like a summer afternoon. His pulse is vibrant as he stares at me, I want to feel it against me.

"Emily, it's okay, you don't have to be afraid."

He spoke again, he sounds so familiar. I can't focus on that right now, there's a fire in my throat that needs to be extinguished.

Thirsty!

I tackled him onto his back with speed I didn't even know I possessed. He didn't seem frightened, maybe a little surprised but he didn't push me off. I straddled his waist, my knees touching the grey bedspread.

I looked at the mans eyes again, they were red now, like rubies, weren't they amber before? He smiles at me and closes his eyes, turning his head to the side. I look down at his neck, I can see his pulse, his heart beating at a rhythmic pace.

THIRSTY!

I couldn't stop myself, I moved without even realizing it. My mouth on his neck, my teeth buried in his veins. His blood enters my mouth, flowing like water. It tastes like heaven, sweet, but with a hidden fire.

I wanted all of it.

I closed my eyes, caught up in the bliss of his taste. The burning in my throat and the pain in my body finally subsiding. With every gulp, the pain decreased, until it was gone.

Even with the pain leaving my body, I didn't want to stop, I couldn't stop. The feeling was like nothing I've ever had, it set my tastebuds ablaze, this blood... his blood....

Devon.

I'm feeding from Devon.

Memories flooded back to me, everything that happened. How could I forget him? How could I forget my family? What's wrong with me? I have to stop, I'm hurting him. I have to stop!

I wrench myself away from him and bring my hand up to my mouth. Tears form in my eyes, causing my vision to blur. I shut my eyes tight, not able to look at Devon. I feel him sit up but I'm still straddling him, he moves me and sits me in his lap, wrapping his arms around me.

"It's okay Em, you didn't hurt me, I'm fine, just calm down." He whispered in my ear, holding me close to him.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to." I whisper with my hand still covering my mouth and open my eyes.

"Shhh it's not your fault, it's normal." He leaned back, trying to look at my face, but I felt ashamed to meet his gaze, I starred down at my lap. "Do you feel okay? Are you in any pain?"

His voice was full of concern, I shook my head slowly. He pulled me in again, letting me rest my head on his shoulder. I wiped my tears away and took a deep breath, I was surprised by how good my sense of smell was.

Devon smelled amazing for instance, I never really noticed until now. It reminded me of summer time, warm and sweet, when the earth seemed most alive. I could also sense something else within him, a power, it was almost scary. I understood now why many vampires feared him, the power was ferocious and covered in heat.

I could also smell the covers beneath us, the cotton and fabric had a somewhat earthy smell to them. The walls around us were stone, I could almost tell where they had come from just because of the scent.

It amazed me, I noticed my other senses seemed enhanced as well. For example, my hearing, I could hear people talking, although it wasn't completely audible, I could tell how far away they were. People were below us, and there was people below them. I could actually hear them even through the thick floors.

I wiggled in Devon's arms to look up at him. He smiled down at me, his eyes once again that amber color. They looked even more beautiful to me than ever before. I studied his face, as if seeing it for the first time. I reached up to touch his prominent jaw line, and then his dark thick hair that sat a bit wildly on his head.

I moved my hand to his chin and lightly brushed his lips with my thumb. They held a pale pink color and felt so soft. I couldn't help myself as I leaned in to kiss him. I wanted to know what his lips felt like against mine. He didn't object, but he seemed tentative as our lips met.

I closed my eyes and embellished in the feeling. I had forgotten how great it felt to kiss him. However I sat back as I felt a strange feeling in my throat, it suddenly became dry. Thoughts of biting into him again filled my mind, I was scarred of myself.

Devon noticed my worry and immediately held me close again, making it so I couldn't push him away.

"It's okay, don't freak out." He whispered, I swallowed hard, trying to soothe the dryness of my throat. "This is how it is when a new born wakes up, it'll start to get easier in a few days I promise." He stroked my hair and I nodded, hoping he was right. The dryness in my throat began to feel like sandpaper.

"It hurts." I whispered, my voice sounding hoarse now.

"I know." Devon lifted my chin so I would look into his eyes. In those amber orbs was understanding and love, it melted my heart. He kissed my forehead, holding us there for a few moments before resting my head on his shoulder.

"I want you to take some more Emily, you need your strength." I wanted to shake my head no, I wanted to show him I didn't need any more, but my body betrayed me as I felt my fangs slide down from my gums.

I moved my head to get closer to his neck, my bite from before had already healed. I placed my right hand on his left shoulder, gripping his shirt as my fangs easily pierced through his skin.

A noise escaped my throat that sounded almost like a growl as I drank once again from Devon. This didn't seem to bother him though as a quiet groan exited his lips. He held me tight, his strong arms wrapped around my body.

I once again let myself fall into a haze of bliss as his blood eased my thirst.