Chapter 35

Emily

This was it.

The western and northern warrior covens will be marching here at sunset.

I bit my lip at the thought as Xavier lead the way towards our hiding spot.

We went in strange zigzags, he said that if somehow one of the warriors caught on to our scent, they would have a harder time finding us if it was everywhere.

When we finally made it to the rivers edge at our spot, I let out a sigh of relief. Just being near the water made my anxiety levels fall, but only a little.

The rivers rushing waters hummed in my ears gently. It calmed me, I had to physically restrain myself from jumping in and feeling the cool waters against my skin.

I sat down, looking out towards the rising moon, my back to the setting sun.

It was easier for me now to wake up before dusk, but the sunlight still bothered my eyes a bit.

"If you want to rest for awhile, I can keep watch and wake you up later." Xavier offered but I shook my head.

"Even if I was tired I wouldn't be able to sleep." I said taking a deep breath.

The cool evening air was beginning to set in, relieving the heat of the summer sun. It felt nice on my skin, lately I had preferred the cold over the heat. The heat bothered me more now that I was a vamp. When I was human, or well 'human' I guess, I had always preferred the summers over the winters.

Now I couldn't wait to see the first snowfall, the cold didn't bother me anymore like it use to.

Xavier sat down beside me and ran his hand through his dark hair, taking a deep breath in and slowly letting it out.

We sat in silence for a few moments before a thought came into my head.

"Do you think we would have been friends if we hadn't bumped into each other at the bookstore?" I asked the green eyed vampire next to me.

He raised a brow at me for a second then shrugged.

"I think so? I don't see why not, I mean we're both kinda nerds right? Nerds stick together."

"Like glue." I finished with a giggle. He grinned and bumped shoulders with me.

"I'm glad you ran into me, before I met you I only really had Malik. The other warriors in the coven have always brushed me off or made fun of me, they don't see me as a warrior." Xavier said, his shoulders slumping slightly.

I scoffed, mockingly offended.

"You? Not a warrior?! How dare they, you're obviously the most badass out of all of them combined!" I threw my hands up in the air which made him chuckle.

"Ha I know right?" His face turned into a slight grin. "But seriously Em, until you came along, I had zero friends, and now." He turned his face upwards towards the darkening sky, his smile starting to grow. "I have you and Devon and I couldn't be more grateful."

He turned to look at me, his eyes shining brightly.

"Thank you, I'm really happy I met you." His smile warmed me and the corners of my lips began to rise.

"I'm the one who should be thanking you, this whole 'vampire, human, electus' thing would have been a lot harder if it hadn't been for you. I mean you made me feel.... well, normal. You helped make my transition less scary, so thank you." He nodded and wrapped one arm around my shoulder.

"When we make it out of this, and I do mean when, let's go to the bookstore again, but this time, let's not literally run into each other, deal?"

"Deal!" I said happily and wrapped my arms around him in a quick hug.

We sat side by side and watched the moon rise and the stars come out as the sky darkened, not thinking about what was soon to come with the setting sun.

                                  *********

Malik

I stood at the front lines behind Cyrus, master Camilla and her top warrior Lucine stood next to us.

Behind us was a mixture of both covens, scattered with their weapons in hand. Each one stood ready, no one spoke, even the forest surrounding us seemed to go silent.

I could no longer see Devon but I assumed he was towards the back near the coven.

The sun had just set, it's last rays of light that illuminated the sky a dark orange and red were gone, leaving a lightish shade of blue as the moon made her way up higher into the sky. 

I heard the enemy before I saw them. 

Dozens of feet walking towards us, making the ground tremble slightly as they drew closer.

The first thing I saw was Bellona, her pale hair looked as if it was glowing in the moonlight. Then I saw Thane, even from a distance he looked ginormous. His dark bare skin reflecting the moons dim rays as well.

Then I saw their warriors.

Needless to say, their numbers almost maxed ours.

As they came closer their footsteps began to slow until the two masters were only a few yards away.

"Cyrus, do you really want this war? We can all go home if you just hand over the electus, are you going to sacrifice the lives of your coven for some little girl?" Bellona said, her voice booming with power and strength. Cyrus didn't hesitate.

"Yes, because she is not some girl, she will be the bridge between our world and the human world, she will bring peace and we will fight to keep her alive until our last warrior falls." His voice held the same power as Bellonas, and his eyes went from their dark hazel to a dangerous red.

I could almost feel Bellonas rage even from the distance.

"Then you leave me no choice." With that, she turned, raising her hand and yelling "Milites impetum!!!!"

And with that, all hell broke loose.

Both sides charged, running at speeds unseen by the naked eye. I stayed close to my master as I came up to my first opponent.

I didn't hesitate.

The man didn't even have time to draw his sword before I sliced off his head in one swift moved.

His head fell to the ground as his body slowly toppled with it, soaking the earth with blood.

That was the first death of the war.

Many more were to come.

             **********

"Milites, impetum!" is Latin for "Soldiers, attack!"